Unable to delete user from Auth0 user management dashboard or Management API

We are having some issues with a ghost user that cannot be deleted via the user management dashboard or management API, but still appears in the users list in the dashboard. The user belongs to a custom database connection. When I click on the view details button for the user , I’m getting an error “Error! The user does not exist.” I also tried to delete the connection user using Management API but getting 204 response code which means the user does not exist.

When we create another user using the same email id, the user gets successfully created. But we are unable to trigger password reset email for the new user created. The problem could be because of the ghost user which exists, since the reset password email functionality works for all other users.

Attaching screenshot below which shows there exists two user accounts with the same email in the same tenant, out of which one is a non-existent user.

Hi @vdr_hpanneerselvam,

Welcome to the Auth0 Community!

Could you please try using the Management API’s Delete a connection user endpoint to remove the affected connection and email address?

Let me also clarify that returning a 204 response code indicates that the user no longer exists.

Please let me know how this goes for you.

Thanks,
Rueben

I tried using the “Delete a connection user endpoint” to remove the affected email address. Got 204 response from the API. But the ghost user with the same email id is still showing up in the user management dashboard.

Hi @vdr_hpanneerselvam,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand you still have an affected user that was not deleted after using the Delete a connection user endpoint.

Now, could you please try deleting that user using their user_id with the Delete a user endpoint?

I look forward to your update.

Thanks,
Rueben

Hi @rueben.tiow

To delete a user with the “Delete a user” endpoint, I would require user_id right? When I click on the user in the user management screen to view details , I get this error - “Error! User does not exist.” Attached screenshot of the error below.

Hi @vdr_hpanneerselvam,

Thank you for your response.

I understand that you are still experiencing issues even after trying to delete the user.

Given that, I have created a Engineering ticket on your behalf asking for further support.

Once I have more information, I will relay it to you on this thread.

Thanks,
Rueben

@rueben.tiow Awaiting your response, Thanks.

1 Like

@rueben.tiow Any updates on this?

1 Like

Hi @vdr_hpanneerselvam,

Thank you for your reply.

I have just followed up on this with our Engineers, and they informed me that the issue involved the search index being out of sync.

Since then, they have repaired the search index and fixed the issue.

Please reach out again if you need further assistance.

Thanks,
Rueben

1 Like

Hi. I have similar issue and yes I am still experiencing similar issue of deleting a user via API as of this writing. What is happening? This is not yet resolved.

Hi @jackson2,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

To better assist you, could you please elaborate in more detail on the issues you are observing?

Thanks,
Rueben

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.