Passwordless codes are taking way too long

Experiencing intermittent delays on getting a login code for passwordless login. Tested this across a number of different emails all with different domains, so I am are fairly certain it’s nothing to do with our native email filters or anything like that. Codes are taking up to a minute sometimes longer to reach our emails.

I’ve checked the developer console and the only thing is it complains about not getting keep-alive data or the favicon, neither of which I have chosen to implement.

This is a React SPA stack with Universal login set to the stock passwordless template, also just standard Auth0 email server I assume.

Also sometimes by the time it arrives, it errors out forcing the user to wait another unknown amount of time.

Is this normal behaviour?

1 Like

Hi @aus-it-orders,

Thanks for reaching out to the Auth0 Community.

I understand that you are experiencing intermittent delays when receiving your Passwordless email codes.

Firstly, intermittent delays can happen from time to time with Auth0’s servers.

Having tested this myself, I was not able to reproduce the situation. All of my codes arrived before expiry, and I could send mass amounts of Passwordless Email Codes consecutively without delays or issues.

In these cases, could you please try using the Try button in your Passwordless Connection and observing whether the time it takes for the code to arrive is different. I managed to request 60+ codes using the Try button and all the codes arrived seconds from my last click.

Note that the default Auth0 Email Provider should only be used for testing purposes and can cause delays with all Email Types. See here for more details: https://auth0.com/docs/email

With that said, I recommend that you configure an Email Provider to handle high volumes of emails and avoid any delays.

Please let me know have any questions. I’d be happy to help.

Thank you.

Hi Rueben,

Ok no worries. We have experience the same today, no longer an issue so you’re right it does appear intermittent. I was not aware this was only for testing so my mistake, thank you for clarifying. That’s fine for now, we will integrate with an SMTP provider for production.

Hi @aus-it-orders,

You’re welcome! I’m happy to help.

Have a great rest of your day.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.