Feature request: Completely Passwordless Auth with WebAuthN, SMS and Email

Feature:
Completely Passwordless Auth with WebAuthN, SMS and Email

Description:
The ability to go completely passwordless using WebAuthN, SMS or Email.
There would be two auth flow options:

1. Biometrics
  • User enters email/mobile number
  • User receives MFA code to email/phone number
  • User enrols device for Biometric auth (WebAuthN)
  • User is authenticated
  1. Magic link
  • User enters email/mobile number
  • User receives MFA code to email/phone number
  • User receives auth link to email/phone number
  • User visits link and is authenticated

Use-case:
My company are building a crypto wallet and security is the biggest concern. Passwords are not safe and reliable forms of authentication. The ability to go completely passwordless would ensure a higher level of security for our app and customers.

I just found out the New Universal Login Experience doesn’t support Passwordless SMS and Email features. This is a major downside to the product. I would like to have an authentication flow that is completely passwordless.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hi Dan, our company requires this feature too. - Universal Login Experience doesn’t support Passwordless SMS. Could you please update us when this feature will be on your roadmap.

1 Like

Hi @shreyas.purohit,

We are expecting it towards Q4 this year, but it is possible that timeline could change.

1 Like

@dan.woda Is this still on track for Q4?

@evp,

It looks like the target has been pushed to Q1. As I mentioned, it’s still possible this target could change.

Is there any roadmap we can subscribe to for updates on this?

@adam.ard

This is the best place to find updates on this item.

Thanks

Latest Auth0 roadmap says Q1 2023 (Feb-April) includes “Passwordless flows for Univeral Login”. We’ve been waiting a long time for this, and are super keen to use it in Universal login. (Early access would be great Auth0 team! Note: we’re also an enterprise customer).

Also in Auth0’s Q1 roadmap is “FIDO passkey - Beta”. Given PassKeys is now supported in Apple’s iOS16/MacOS Ventura, and coming soon to Microsoft Windows/Edge and Google’s Android/Chrome, this can’t come soon enough!

1 Like