Cloning tenants in the portal

Feature:

Allow tenants cloning in the portal rather than through API.

Description:

This has been requested quite a few times in the past and each time the topic is closed with a reference to an API. When going from the ground up (development → testing → UAT → Production) it would be extremely helpful to clone tenants in the portal and not mess around with the API.

Thanks for creating this feature card! Let’s see how many people will be interested in such improvement as well.

1 Like

While this approach looks fair it has a flaw - if your customers have given up on waiting for a portal feature, they’ll do what they need to do and won’t look back at asking again or upvoting. Which is about to happen to me.

API means every customer reinvents their wheel.

Hope you see the point I’m trying to convey.

Yes I totally get it. Thank you for adding the context.

I came into the feedback to make the same post then saw this one. Although, it’s not just between environments that not being able to easily duplicate tenants is a pain… it’s also on similar projects where you want to spin up something quickly. A full export/import type function from the dashboard would also help with ‘cloning’. There is a lot of configuration on a typical project using Auth0, and often in several places… every time I try and ‘clone’ a tenant (either by manually recreating on dashboard, or via API) I end up spending hours trying to find that one thing I missed.

I’ve used Auth0 for years now, on both work projects for an employer and personally… and it’s the biggest issue for me. It’s not just ‘settings’ that need to be copied, it’s structure of projects too (e.g cloning applications/api’s); I often want to use an existing tenant as boilerplate for a similar project.

Obviously it’s complicated, because any keys, unique ids, domains, etc, will need to be changed… but it would be an awesome functionality, and would massively help in many situations. Using the API is a pain, and it’s not always as simple as just ‘copying settings’.

3 Likes

Totally makes sense, I feel you pain and really appreciate that you shared all that context! I’m gonna relay that to appropriate people!

1 Like

Hi @konrad.sopala,

Was there any action on the topic as great as the emotional support demonstrated earlier?
Looking into replicating development tenant (don’t like at all the use of the term ‘tenant’ to describe environment) to testing and production and it looks like a lot of repetitive work that each Auth0 customer would have to needlessly undergo.

1 Like

@rueben.tiow is this something that could be brought up for discussion again?

1 Like

Hi @sean.feldman,

Thank you for this feedback request first of all. This would be a great quality of life feature.

But before we continue, have you taken a look at the Auth0 Deploy CLI?

It essentially allows you to export/import the complete tenant settings from one tenant to another. It also gives you the option of excluding certain configurations.

In this case, you could replicate your dev tenant to your testing and production tenants using the Auth0 Deploy CLI. It should not require any API calls.

There is also the option to Call Deploy CLI Tool Programmatically so you seamlessly “clone” settings between your different environments.

If this works for you in the meantime, you may find this Deploy CLI command cheat sheet helpful.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Thank you, @rueben.tiow. This is much closer to what I’d like to have.
I’ll have a look into this CLI option.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.