Can't reach signup page when using organizations

Hi,

I have set up my application successfully with organizations. Logins work fine and also signups via the Google Test Connection work. Unfortunately the redirect to the signup page with organizations does not work! Can someone explain what I’m doing wrong here?

This is my signup button (which worked perfectly without orgs):

<button onClick={ 
  () => loginWithRedirect(
     {
       screen_hint: "signup", 
       organization: "some_org_id"
     }
  )}>Sign up</button>

Thank you so much!

9 Likes

Hi @Poolshark - there is no “Signup with Organization” behavior currently. Can you share what you’re looking to do with this? e.g. what is the use-case, what does an organization represent in your product, etc.

4 Likes

Hi @adam.housman!

First of all, thank you for the very quick reply! :raised_hands:

It could well be that my concept has flaws already, so let me quickly describe my use-case:

I have an application which offers online-courses which will be provided by different partner organizations. I have an SPA for the end-user frontend and one for the admin-interface. The database is handled via Dgraph which basically acts as an API gateway.

Since the partner organizations will have their own skinning, my app fetches the domain (multiple domains point to the same SPA), and renders accordingly so the user experience is that of an “individual application” of the organization.

This works quite well and fortunately I need a user authentication for the different users for the different organizations. Auth0 has been selected to be the weapon of choice - which does work pretty nice so far. With different login skins I have a customised user exoirence for logins but unfortunately users will also have to sign up at one point. I have found that if I set the end user access in the application settings to both, users can sign up again but unfortunately the signup is not customised. Even worse, after the signup users will get redirected to the destination of the organization they have signed up from but obviously they aren’t “officially” part of the organization yet, since this would require another login (assuming auto-membership is enabled for the connection in the organization settings).

I guess I could write my own login and signup screens but then I would also need to fiddle around with social logins etc. - all of which is included in your interface already.

Is that a valid use-case? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @Poolshark - this makes sense. Our primary methods of gating access to Organizations currently are via MGMT API (add org members) and organization member invitation. Secondarily, organizations’ enabled_connections can be configured to allow Auto-Membership but this has limitations as you described above. We don’t have an out-of-the-box solution for Organization “sign-up” at this time but do hope to introduce a flow in the future.

If you are not able to grant access to each new user via invitation, then you may need to consider alternate ways to represent those business partners until such a time as Organizations supports signup…

In your scenario, is the expectation that “some” of your partner organizations should allow users to sign-up, while others should have closed access?

Thanks,

Adam

4 Likes

We have a similar use-case where we want to allow organization signup via specific app with a default role applied to the new user.

1 Like

Hey there!

Just wanted to post my “solution” here for further reference.

The Task

We have 2 separate SPAs which share the same database. Authentication for both apps is provided by Auth0.

• App 1 > User Frontend → Users can sign-up and login directly
  • App 2 > Admin Interface → Users can only be invited and App 2 users can also log into App 1
  • We can also create users for both apps in App 2.

Furthermore, App 1 is reachable via multiple domains where each domain represents an Organization in Auth0.

• For logins it is we redirect to the organizations login page (according to the current domain) via loginWithRedirect({ organization: orgId }).
  • For sign-ups we simply do loginWithRedirect({ screen_hint: "signup" })

Of course this has the downside that on sign-ups we only get the Application’s sign-up page which is not customisable for the different organisations (unless you do the login page yourself).

If we create a user on App 2 we had a more complicated task since the freshly created users had to be added to the organization(s) and also need to have permission to access the main application. If we do not wish to allow automatic sign-up on login for specific organizations, then creating a user on Auth0 is not an option. Thus, we have chosen to send an Organisation Invite Email on each user creation which basically does exactly what we want plus the UX/UI bonus that we do not have to define a password for the user!

I hope this makes sense! It still would be really nice if Auth0 will provide a customised sign-up page for organisations. This way we could just use the Universal Login / Sign-up page and won’t have to fiddle around with Social Logins ourselves.

1 Like

Please let us know when org signup will be released! this has to be a top use case.

6 Likes

Has org signup been released yet?!

1 Like

Was hoping this has been released now, or is close to, as we would really love to see this feature, as we’re currently having to consider building our own invite process just to get around this limitation.

2 Likes

Any news on org signup release date or status?

3 Likes

Hey, what is the status of this feature? It seems that there is a big demand. It is key functionality and it seems that missing signup flow is a big problem for many people. Manual invitation is not ideal solution in 2023

@adam.housman do you have any updates on that front? Thank you!

We’re currently planning to tackle Organization-level signup at the end of this year or early next. Note that timing is subject to change, thanks for your patience.

4 Likes

Perfect thanks for the update! Temporarily marking it as a solution so we have a reference point here.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.