Xing plugin integration with auth0

Hi there,

I got a question regarding the authentication with OAuth using the German based portal Xing. They closed their public API and therefore it is not possible to use the documented way to integrate it with auth0. Nevertheless are Xing providing a plugin which enables a social login. Is there a way to integrate the plugin with auth0? Did someone already worked with it?
Thanks for the help!
Thomas

Hey there @thomasbr24!

As far as I know, noone has asked us about Xing integrations before in the community so it might be hard to find any specific info on how to do that BUT :nerd_face: you can definitely go from here. Hereā€™s a piece of content on adding custom social connections:

https://auth0.com/docs/extensions/custom-social-extensions

Let me know if that helps!

Hi Konrad,

Custom Social Connections donā€™t seem to make it.
Xing from their site offering a code snippet for integration using a consumer key and signature salt:

1. <script type=ā€œxing/loginā€>
  2. {
  3. ā€œconsumer_keyā€: ā€œ923ae3bb5b2f59e1296cā€
  4. }
  5. </script>
  • <script>(function(d) {
  1. var js, id=ā€˜lwxā€™;
  2. if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
  3. js = d.createElement(ā€˜scriptā€™); js.id = id; js.src = ā€œhttps://www.xing-share.com/plugins/login.jsā€;
  4. d.getElementsByTagName(ā€˜headā€™)[0].appendChild(js)
  5. }(document));</script>

Hey @thomasbr24!

Iā€™m investigating this with our developer support team. Give me a few more days and Iā€™ll reach out back with the solutions we come up with.

Thanks!

You wonā€™t be able to use the login.js plug directly, but It seems that Xing supports OAuth2 (see Bei XING anmelden).

Auth0 provides the capability to add custom OAuth2 connections for these cases where you want to use a provider that is not directly supported.

Auth0 will handle the OAuth2 dance of requesting an access token on your behalf, and you will have to provide a custom JavaScript snippet that uses that access token to get the user profile. See Connect Apps to Generic OAuth2 Authorization Servers and Connect Apps to Generic OAuth2 Authorization Servers for details on those.

We have an OAuth1 example for Xing at https://auth0.com/docs/connections/generic-oauth2-connection-examples#xing, but I see that they are migrating to OAuth2 so Iā€™m not sure that you will be able to create a new OAuth1 registration.

@konrad.sopala great news, looking forward to it!
@nicolas_sabena the documentation on site of Xing is also outdated. As I already wrote in my post, they closed their public API and itā€™s not possible anymore to create a ā€˜Xing applicationā€™ to do the API requests. The announcement is actually not public anymore (donā€™t know why, see How to get consumer key and secret? Ā· Issue #14 Ā· xing/xing_api Ā· GitHub)

Judging by the comments in the GitHub issue that you provided and what you said in terms of not being able to create a Xing application anymore, I think itā€™ll be hard for now to achieve what you want cause going back to what Nick referenced itā€™s required to create Xing app at some point + the migration thing.

Indeed. Auth0 can integrate with new identity providers as long as one of the standard authentication protocols is used by the identity provider: OAuth1, OAuth2, SAML or WS-Federation. If Xing shut the doors for that, thereā€™s unfortunately nothing we can do about it.

1 Like

Alright. Thanks for the update on that! You may add a note to your own documentation, just for future reference.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for feedback @thomasbr24! Will report it to our product team. For future reference if youā€™d like at any time in the future to provide us with any feedback you can always visit our feedback site:

Auth0: Secure access for everyone. But not just anyone. (thatā€™s the easiest way to directly provide feedback to our product team)

Thanks a lot for that!