Warning when reaching user limit

Is there any way to get alerted somehow when the number of users stored against a tenant is approaching the limit imposed by the subscription? Or even just an indication of how many users are currently in the database? (One can get a crude estimation of this by just multiplying the number of pages on the User Management->Users page of the console by 10.)

We’ve recently discovered that despite our subscription stipulating only 1000 active users per month, this figure actually also limits the number of users stored in the database. We started getting reports of users successfully signing in but we were unable to find those users in the dashboard to assign them permissions (although we could see their signin attempt in the Auth0 logs). Bumping our subscription solved this problem.

number of users stored against a tenant is approaching the limit imposed by the subscription

“Users stored” wouldn’t be the right metric to check against the subscription, because the subscription is about MAUs = monthly active users. So a user only counts as active if they at least login once in a month.
You can store 1 Mio users in the DB, if only 100 users login, it’s only counted as 100 users.

We started getting reports of users successfully signing in but we were unable to find those users in the dashboard to assign them permissions (although we could see their signin attempt in the Auth0 logs). Bumping our subscription solved this problem.

Weird, as there shouldn’t be a technical hard limit on the number of users. And if they appear in the log but not in the dashboard… it might just be a UI thing… you can check with the Management API to be sure: Auth0 Management API v2

Note that you can always get the usage stats via Auth0 Support Center (click on your Avatar in the Dashboard, then “Account Usage”)

About getting warnings upfront: not tested and what the query should look like in detail, but you might use the Lucene query API endpoint Auth0 Management API v2 and query by the user.last_login attribute

1 Like

Thanks for helping on this one Mathias!

Thanks for the detailed reply Mathias (doubly appreciated now that I see that you’re not actually working for Auth0 now). I agree that MAUs is what is mentioned in all the Auth0 documentation and on even on the subscription details; however:

• our MAU count for January is currently 340 lower than the limit stipulated.
  • at the point the problem occurred our number of users (i.e. under User Management in the dashboard) was exactly the number stipulated by the limit.
  • when I bumped the subscription up slightly to the next user limit the problem was fixed.

Hence my conclusion about the MAU limit actually implying a storage limit too.

I was aware of the lucene endpoint and I may have a play with it at some point as a workaround for this but it just surprised me that we could apparently exceed a limit without being warned about it beforehand.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.