Management API "Your account is not allowed to update the following user attributes: name"

I’m trying to update a user’s name using the Management API using the ManagementClient in Nodejs. When I attempt to use ManagementClient.updateUser I receive the following error (400) Your account is not allowed to update the following user attributes: name. Any idea why? I’m using client id and secret to authenticate.

1 Like

The name field in the user profile is not directly editable, as this is reserved for name data returned from third party identity providers, e.g. Facebook. As outlined in the normalized user profile documentation:

A user’s name , nickname , and picture attributes are not directly editable, however you can update the fields in the user_metadata to update them for your front-end as desired. Click here for more details for changing a user’s picture; the name , nickname fields can be updated in the same way.

3 Likes

How does this work if my user is created by my application via Management API call in an Auth0 Database, and not via an IDP? I do not allow sign-up or associating of the account to any accounts generated by a third party identity provider. I cannot find options around Connection Sync. Yet, I still receive the “Your account is not allowed to update the following user attributes: family_name” error, and I do not want to do the metadata+rule workaround unless that is a last resort.

Having the same error message in Xamarin.Forms, even though updating root attributes is now supposedly supported as per announcement and documentation.