How to track Auth0 Events in Metrics Provider (Amplitude)

Hi,

I was wondering what’s the recommended way to send Auth0 events to an event-based metrics provider of my choice. I am using Amplitude, which I don’t see any Extension for yet.

A few options I can think of:

1. Track the events on my own front-end code
  2. Set up an API endpoint for ingesting Auth0 Logs via streams and sending to Amplitude myself
  3. Utilizing custom Hooks to send events to Amplitude
  4. Maybe using Rules for the same functionality?

Choice 3 seems the easiest, but wondering if there are other best practices out there. Thank you!

@robinhua

I don’t know much about amplitude, so this is fairly hypothetical. I am assuming you are going to use a REST API to get your data into amplitude.

This option will give you the most granularity. If you want to do some in-depth metric tracking then I would probably look at this option first. Like you mention, you will have to bridge the gap between Amplitude and Auth0 with a lambda or something similar. (if you choose to use AWS, our eventbridge integration will make it easy)

You could use one or both of these, again depending on what type of event granularity. If you just want to track logins, then a rule will suffice. If you want to look at db signups, pw resets, and logins, then you would have to use both. If you just want db signups, then a hook.

The benefit of doing it this way is that you can make the API call to amplitude directly from the rule or hook, no need for a serverless function, etc. in the middle.

If you use a rule, keep in mind that these run on every successful authentication, and can be blocking if you wait for a response from the Amplitude API.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

hi @robinhuang , not sure if this answer comes still in time. But Mixpanel has a direct integration with Auth0 that might solve your problem in a more seamless way

Let us know if you have any questions. Cheers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.