We are thrilled to see the incredible response from the community, from tremendous questions and reporting bugs to providing excellent ideas to drive forward the Auth0 platform. We look forward to seeing more from you! Below you will find some ways to get involved and help make this forum more useful. Please share any suggestions you have on how we can make the flow or the processes in the forum the best they can be.
- Asking good questions, making good bug reports
- Providing good answers to questions
- Making good feature requests.
- Common Suggestions
Asking good questions, making good bug reports.
We strive to reduce the total turnaround time taken to resolve an issue, and it is critical to gather as much information as possible regarding the issue in order to better understand your queries and resolve them in a safe and robust fashion. In order to do so, we need a lot of meta information related to the issue. The following is the information that you should try to include in a question when creating the initial thread:
Please refrain from posts without context, such as “I have an error when using lock with php”. The following is a non-exhaustive list of things that allow us to have a better grasp of the issue. Please try to include as many of the following as possible:
- What are you trying to achieve? What is the use case or idea behind it?
- If this is caused by an SDK please mention the SDK along with the specific version number.
- If this is not an easily reproducible issue please mention that.
- If this issue is related to Lock / Any SDK please share the SDK as well as lock initialization code or any code that is relevant.
- If this is an issue with an API please mention the endpoint you are trying to hit. Relevant code, and or a network trace, is really helpful when debugging such issues.
- Environment-specific information (Which OS, Language Runtime + Version, Browser etc).
Steps to reproduce, a HAR file or a reproducible is incredibly helpful in resolving the issue.
- Please include the necessary steps that must be followed to replicate the issue.
- To capture a HAR please follow the instructions at Generate and Analyze HAR Files, making sure to remove any sensitive information like passwords in your HAR file using a text editor before sending.
- To share a reproducible or HAR please upload it to https://onedrive.com/ or https://dropbox.com and drop us a link. If you are worried about others being able to access the link you can use https://sharelock.io to lock the link to
@auth0.comemails only. This way only Auth0 staff can access the link.
Please don’t ask duplicate questions. Duplicate questions fragment the information and increase the amount of effort someone else having the same issue will have to make in order to get the entire picture. It also reduces our ability to answer all of your questions. It is ok to add what you are experiencing to an already existing question assuming that it is the same. We will close duplicate topics at our convenience. One way to avoid is to utilize the "Your topic is similar to… box that appears to the right of the new post overlay and open a similar topic to make sure:
Please make use of tags. Please tag your questions with appropriate tags in order to assist others with finding related posts/topics. If your intended tag is missing please add “[tagname]” to the post topic. Forum mods will edit and create the tag for you or redirect it to the appropriate tag.
Please add any Errors thrown. Most debugging environments have a means to capture and render stack traces. If this is an error thrown by an SDK please attach the entire stack trace. If you are developing on Android or iOS devices using hybrid applications please attach Chrome Debugger or Safari Debugger to the device to capture console logs, etc. If your server generates an error page with a stack trace, capturing HAR file and attaching that serves much better than a screenshot.
Common things to check before creating a new bug report / topic
In case of server-side API errors with JWT validation, etc:
- make sure NTP is running on all servers to ensure correct time
- make sure all certificates are up to date (not about to expire)
If you cannot login to your Auth0 Account:
- make sure you are using the correct account to login (i.e. if you signed up via Google OAuth2 please use that)
If you are having issues with custom emails:
- make sure you’ve configured your own email provider
- while debugging, sometimes refreshing the browser/clearing cookies might resolve the issues caused in development due to frozen cookies or interrupted flows
- Check for any network outages with your cloud provider, your network, etc.
- Check Auth0 status at status.auth0.com or under the header of this forum
Providing good answers to questions.We really appreciate the time and effort taken by the people who have answered or help us answer forum questions. As the Auth0 community grows we look forward to seeing more questions answered by the community and more serious discussions in the forum. The following are a few pointers on how to write a good answer:
- If this is a code fix, please refrain from providing just the code. If possible try adding an explanation in order to provide context for those reading and attempting to assist.
- If this is an architectural suggestion or solution, please include links to various endpoints / APIs used.
- If you are posting a new answer to an already answered post, please try to include new information which will allow others to understand why your solution is better.
Making good feature requests.
Your continuous feedback is greatly appreciated. We carefully go through all the feature requests you make, but in order for us to make good decisions on them, please consider the following pointers:
- What part of the product is this feature request for? (SDK, API, Lock, Guardian, etc)?
- What is the scope of this feature request? Please add examples of how this can be helpful to many other users.
- Is there a way to achieve this that already exists but is crude? If so please mention it - it will serve as a temporary workaround for other people waiting for the problem.
- Is there a feature request that already exists for this issue? If so please vote for it using the Like button and add contextual information, feel free to discuss the issue in the thread.
Include tags. The more the merrier. Tags allow other users facing the same problem to search quickly, and allow us the critical visibility over painful areas and resolve them. Please use tags at will.
If a post answers your question please use the Accept (checkmark) button to accept it as an answer. This will help others having the same issue to resolve their issue quickly.
Please make use of the Like (heart) button. Also, refrain from “me too”, “i have this problem too” posts, as they add noise to a 3rd party reader trying to understand the scenario. If you are facing the same problem, and your reproduction steps differ from the one mentioned in the post so far, please add them as a separate post, following the same guidelines as if this was a new topic.
If you have resolved your issue, please mention how you resolved the issue. It will help someone else having the same problem to resolve the same issue.
If the post has a current answer, but you believe you have a better solution for the topic please feel free to add the answer. It will serve a greater good for all.