Getting Custom Text fields into Customize Login Page HTML?

I need to force users to provide their first and last names on sign-up.

So I’m assuming that I need to enable Customize Login Page to provide additionalSignUpFields.

The problem is that I can’t seem to find a way to set Custom Text fields in the HTML. I need to add some text to the description.

• If I disable Customize Login Page, I can get the Custom Text fields, but no first and last names on sign-up.
  • If I enable Customize Login Page, I can get the first and last names on sign-up, but no Custom Text fields

How can I can get both, the Custom Text fields and edit the description?

Hi @zivtech,

Welcome to the Auth0 Community!

Yes, that is correct. You will need to configure the additionalSignUpFields on the Classical Universal Login experience. It will not work with the New Universal Login experience.

First, I recommend checking this FAQ to learn more about configuring additional sign-up fields on the Classic Universal Login experience.

And then to edit the description, you can change the lock configuration object in the custom login page script, specifically the languageDictionary for the signUp object.

Please let me know if you need further clarification or help.

Thanks,
Rueben

Makes sense, but I can’t get it to work, probably because it’s not clear how to do the formatting. This must be wrong, but how should it be written?

var lock = new Auth0Lock(config.clientID, config.auth0Domain, {
      [...]
      signUp: {
        languageDictionary: {
          description: "Please login to use ABC."
        }
      }
      [...]
    }

Hi @zivtech,

Thank you for your reply.

I would like to correct my previous reply. With the Classic Universal Login experience, there isn’t a description on the signup page. For example:

Because of this, see here for the full list of callable values. I have attached an example usage below as well:

var lock = new Auth0Lock(config.clientID, config.auth0Domain, {
      [...]
      languageDictionary: {
        signUpTitle: "Sign up"
      }
      [...]
    }

Could you please give it a try and let me know how this works for you?

Thanks,
Rueben

I did what I could, having to stuff text where it doesn’t really belong. Will have to see if it’s sufficient for my client; they may not like it.

• A description field would have been perfect, but there isn’t one.
  • databaseSignUpInstructions would have good too, but setting this one has no effect.
  • successsignUp would also have been good, but this message never shows up. After submitting the sign-up form, the user is directed right back to the app.

How are these two above supposed to work?

Are there plans to make this stuff work with the New Universal Login experience?

Thanks.

Hi @zivtech,

Thank you for your response.

Allow me to offer one other alternative that may work for you. One workaround would be to use the New Universal Login experience for your application so that you can have a description field on the sign-up page that you can customize.

Then to collect the additional sign-up fields, you could redirect your users to a separate page that you host to collect this information. Once that is complete, you can resume the authentication flow and send the user back to the callback URL. This can be accomplished using Redirect Actions.

Ultimately, there isn’t a way to use both the additionalSignUpFields and description field features at the same time.

Yes! This is currently having high demand on our Universal login / Hosted Signup pages - Allow custom fields feedback page. I recommend upvoting this request so that our engineers can prioritize it sooner for implementation.

I hope the explanation was clear!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I’d be happy to help!

Thanks,
Rueben

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.