Flutter and Auth0

Understood Konrad, appreciate that. And thanks for the response.

I’m a developer, too (obviously), and have to break the bad news to people all the time that want they want won’t be happening any time soon. I suppose the difficulty is that the login flows, for native, on offer at the moment are pretty slim. I don’t personally think that many serious SMEs are building a suite of swift / android / windows mobile apps atm, and I’m not sure if I’m the only one who thinks this but it seems to me that Ionic has missed the mark and is going to disappear into obscurity before too long. So there’s pretty much nothing left on the auth0 front, unless you’re a microsoft ecosystem guy and want to use Xamarin.

I don’t know, it is frustrating when a pretty simple (sounding) and broadly applicable use case, developed by Google of all people, can’t be readily utilised.

Anyway, appreciate the response, and will keep plugging away at an unsupported flutter implementation.

Thank you for providing your wide view on that. As soon as I have any updates I’ll share that and will bring that as a topic discussion toward wider group of people internally. Thank you for re-raising that!

Hi everyone, it’s Nick from the Auth0 Product team here. We know it’s been a while since the question about better Flutter support was raised and we’re sorry we’ve kept you watching this long without clear answers.

We love the enthusiasm around this suggestion and we work to take every idea like this into consideration. Your feedback is very helpful to us in determining which tools are most effective for you, while supporting your goals for identity and security with Auth0. You can imagine that we get a lot of requests for specific integrations and new things for Auth0 to support. There is in fact a team of us actively working on our roadmap for developer experience, SDKs, QuickStart guides, and libraries + examples as we speak.

It’s very clear that there’s strong support for Flutter within the community. While we don’t have a specific timeframe to communicate with you yet, we are looking closely at this suggestion and will update this thread as soon as we have more concrete answers.

4 Likes

+1 for Flutter Support!

1 Like

Thank you for the input on the matter @gady!

+1 for Flutter support

2 Likes

Thanks @smashedtoatoms!

+1 for Flutter support

Thank you for your vote @Hiroki!

It would be super beneficial guys also to provide a little bit of context about your usecase. Thanks!

+1 for official Flutter support.

My usecase is having social authentication for a mobile application that will be communicating with a backend API. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @stevenr511!

+1 for flutter support please

Hi,

It’s been over two years since this was first requested and nothing seems to have happened since then. I’ve been fortunate that my project went into hibernation for a while, but I’m coming back to it now and it’s disappointing to see that there’s been no visible progress on an official implementation. Whilst I appreciate it requires resources and that Auth0 will have greater priorities, the stark reality is that potential long-term Auth0 customers on a rapidly-evolving new platform will be discouraged from joining the service, and will look elsewhere or code their own implementation. Certainly, from my perspective, I will likely develop my own authorisation system, as I’m reluctant to commit to a service that may never have the official support and features I need.

So, to Auth0, I would say that it’s important for Flutter developers to see that there’s actually a plan in place for this to happen soon. We’ve had words saying this and that, but they’re somewhat empty without action. I’m sure I’m not alone in needing to see something concrete before committing to the service, and I would like to see this before I make a decision on what to use in my project.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I apologize for the wait @mookdrews and we appreciate the honest feedback :bowing_man:

1 Like

Hi, I’m the maintainer of GitHub - gregertw/actingweb_firstapp: Starter app for Flutter that includes many different production app features; some not typically included in demo apps., a Flutter starter app (also listed on AwesomeFlutter), that uses Auth0. The starter app was originally started as an evaluation of Flutter readiness for larger dev work as most available examples did not really integrate all the functionality you need in a single application.
I chose Auth0 as alternatives like firebase auth are fairly limited, and typically Auth0 will be a better representative of integration work for a dev effort where you integrate various existing services. With a similar argument, I integrated Crashlytics, and have lately looked at adding messaging (tried out firebase_messaging).
In this process, I partially took over maintenance of GitHub - devdennysegura/flutter-auth0: Flutter toolkit for Auth0 API until Denny picked up the work again. To my knowledge, Auth0 has not been involved at all. I find this strange as it seems to ,e that either no engagement or full SDK support is a very limiting model and Auth0 would have gotten a lot of value from community efforts like Denny’s if they just had one or two engineers that could pro-actively contribute.
As an example of a thing where Auth0 could contribute is an issue I currently have where flutter-auth0 and firebase_messaging seem to conflict. It’s a hard nut to crack and I’m not sure I really want to spend time on it, and I’m not really sure who would really want to do so either. The result might be that I either use e.g. OneSignal or rip out Auth0 support and use something like GitHub - Clancey/simple_auth: The Simplest way to Authenticate in Flutter (where Auth0 is not supported either, but where you get lots of social providers). The latter is probably more likely as I don’t really see Auth0 wanting to support the Flutter community.

1 Like

Adding a bit to the mix, here is a new Flutter plugin based on the native iOS & Android SDKs. It’s not affiliated with Auth0, just uses the official SDKs:

It was developed using the native SDKs so that upgrading to the latest bug fix versions is easy and the code is somewhat familiar to the official documentation.

Feedback, PRs, testing all welcome.

2 Likes

+1 for the official support

I’ve seen a lot of requests, and years of no priority from the managers.
I really understand that there are a lot of requests from other things, this is a common thing in big companies.

Why not start with community repos, getting some of the code from them, and embrace the receive of PRs from the community, so everyone will contribute with the integration, examples and documentation.
There’s a lot of interest, so with this help we can deliver something stable and quicker.
A good thing would be the auth0 team review the PRs, so you will make sure that the implementation follows your standards.

1 Like

Same as everyone else is saying.

We’re currently using Auth0. But we ARE moving to flutter. If it turns out to be hard to integrate Auth0 with Flutter then it’s Auth0 that’ll lose out.

Up to Auth0, really.

Thanks for the effort, great to see the community contributing like this. I’ve informed our SDK team internally as well as the internal workgroup that’s focusing on Flutter about this.

2 Likes