Extend the default email templates

We want to change the bottom text in the “reset password” email. As far as I can tell this is only possible by providing a custom email template for it. There are 2 problems here:

1. I don’t know what the original template looks like and I don’t want to design the template from scratch
  2. When Auth0 updates the original template, for instance to improve the copy, tweak the design, or add new functionality, these updates are not available when you’re using a custom template

Would it be possible to add extension blocks in the original templates so you could extend/customize only parts of it? Secondly, it would be very helpful if the original templates were available in the documentation, or at least the supported variables per email.

Hi @p.kruithof,

Thanks for reaching out to the Auth0 Community!

Yes! You should be able to customize portions of the Change Password email template.

I recommend checking out our Customize Email Templates documentation for more details on modifying different sections of the email, specifically the Message Body.

I hope this helps!

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can do to help.

Thanks,
Rueben

Thanks for getting back to me. I did read that part of the documentation, and I understand you can customize the variables as well as the from/subject/etc. parts. But what I’m referring to is part of the body. For instance, we want to tweak the text at the bottom of the “reset password” message body. To clarify, what I’m asking for is something like this:

{% extend 'base/reset_password.liquid' %}

{% block bottom_text %}
  This is my custom bottom text, while the rest of the email stays the same.
{% endblock %}

I don’t think this is possible right now (if it is, please advise how because I don’t see it in the docs), but this is the problem I would like to solve. As I said before I would like to avoid customizing the entire message body as it won’t receive any updates that way.

@rueben.tiow did you get a chance to review my response?

1 Like

Hi @p.kruithof,

Thank you for your responses.

Let me look into this and get back to you once I have more information about whether it’s possible to customize parts of the Change Password email template.

Thanks,
Rueben

Hi @p.kruithof,

Thank you for your patience.

After collaborating with my colleagues, we concluded that it’s not possible to extend the default template and customize only parts of it.

As an alternative, you could make this work by changing parts of the default template. I recommend downloading the template found in this Community FAQ.

Please let me know how this works for you.

Thanks,
Rueben

Well, not really to be honest as this is exactly the thing I want to avoid doing. Looking at the default template there is a lot there in terms of styling/formatting and mail client compatibility that I’d rather not want to support or maintain if I don’t need to.

I believe what I’m asking would be a useful feature (not just for me of course). Hopefully you’ll consider adding it (or something like it) to your roadmap. That being said I understand that what I want will not be possible for the time being, so that answers my original question I guess.

1 Like

Hi @p.kruithof,

Thank you for your reply.

I’m sorry that we were not able to provide you with a solution to extend the default email templates.

One thing I can offer is to create a feedback request asking to support extending the default email templates. This way, it introduces a voting system where higher votes lead to higher implementation priority.

Please reach out again if you have any additional questions. I’d be happy to help!

Thanks,
Rueben

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.