Whenever a user accepts an invitation using a different email address than provided (which happens when people simply click on a social login once they received an invitation without further thinking about it)it invalidates the invitation, leaving the users no room for a retry.
Also the invitation can’t no longer be found via the management API, making it really hard to even implement a manual resend process, cause the only information is: “I couldn’t find your invitation”.
Any idea on how to incorporate a flow that allows the user for either:
- try again with the same invitation link
- handle the error in my app’s userland to enable my app’s user to resend an invite?
Are you referring to Send Email Invitations for Application Signup or Invite Organization Members? I’d like to test it out to see if I can find a workaround. Can you provide any other steps to reproduce or configurations you are using?
thanks for the reply. I am talking about the Origanization Invite.
I think from a configuration perspective I simply use the defaults, important is that social-logins are activated. Then it can easily be tested by:
- Invite a user via management API to an email, make sure you receive that invitation.
- Click the link, but don’t use the sign-up form, use a social login, e.g. google.
- If the connected google account’s mail differs from the email the invitation was sent to, the user gets a “Failed invite accept” error and the invitation is removed and no longer usable for a retry.
- Validate management API to see you get a 404.
Hope that helps.
Thanks for the added context on this. Everything you have outlined here makes sense.
Is this something you are seeing happen often?
I can’t tell yet, cause we are not running on production right now. But several testers ran into that issue and this is why I finally reported it here.
I can’t find any other customers who have reported this is an issue, which leads me to believe this is an edge case you aren’t likely to run into outside of a development/testing scenario.
I would be happy to bring this feedback to our team. Would you be able to record a screen cast of the flow that is causing this so I can attach it to the request? You can DM it to me directly.