Email From field can not be modified

Hello colleagues.

My case description:

1. I configured a custom external SMTP to a Gmail account (iv...@gmail.com)
  2. I configured a Welcome email in Templates section.

In both cases I configured custom FROM address: support@xyz.com
Then, when I create a user with my FrontEnd application, a Welcome email comes, but with a ‘From’ email different from the configuration: iv...@gmail.com (equal to gmail SMTP username).

What did I miss? How can I configure FROM address for each eamil template in tenant?

I’ll appriciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ivan

Hi Ivan,

I have just checked your SMTP Provider settings on your tenant, and found that the From field has the support@xyz email address.

As far as I could tell, everything is configured correctly.

In this case, could you please use the Try button on your email template page or use the Send Test Email button on your Email Provider page to see if you are receiving the correct from address in your email?

Thanks,
Rueben

Hi Rueben and community,
thank you for checking. It doesn’t work as expected.

I already tried via ‘Try’ button, the email has still different ‘From’.

Please check the screenshot:

Is this an issue/bug on Auth0 side?

Regards,
Ivan

Hi @ivan.akulenka,

Thanks for the reply.

That’s an interesting behavior. I do see that the sender’s email address matches the SMTP User’s email address in the settings.

Before I escalate this to our engineering teams, could you please try saving a new From email address and see if there is any effect?

Thanks,
Rueben

Hello @rueben.tiow , I really appriciate your help.
Sure, here is another example from my account, I changed FROM email in both provider config and Welcome email template.
As you may notice in the latter I even added a message before email. The message stayed when sent via ‘Try’ button, but ‘From’ email was replaced.

Could you please provide details on it and help us figure out how make From configuration work as expected?

Regards,
Ivan

Hi @ivan.akulenka,

Thanks for the response.

I found a related case reporting that this could be happening due to the SMTP being in sandbox. Could you clarify if this is the case or not?

Meanwhile, I have also inspected your Email Provider settings again and noticed that the SMTP User email address is the one being used to send emails and seems to override the From email address in the Welcome Email template settings.

I suspect that the SMTP User email address is the email address being used to send the emails, although this should not be the intended behavior. I am going to check this behavior internally with our Engineering teams and get back to you once I have an update.

Thanks,
Rueben

Hi @rueben.tiow ,

Thanks for your reply!

Could you please elaborate a bit more on Sandbox SMTP - what is it? and how to promote it to a production version?

Regarding the rest, yes, this is what the business doesn’t want.
The target state is that there will be one SMTP configured for multiple Auth0 tenants, BUT inside each tenant the plan was to use different FROM emails (even for different email templates, since multiple departments process those).
So we would greatly appriciate your help.

Regards,
Ivan Akulenka