Auth0 sometimes taking more than 1500ms to respond results in 401 from AWS API Gateway

We Auth0 as an authorizer for our AWS Cognito integration, and we’ve been getting issues where our AWS API Gateway will sometimes return a 401 without hitting our actual API.

We reached out to AWS Support, and they mentioned that the reason the Gateway was returning a 401 was that the authorizer was taking more than 1500ms to respond, which is a hard limit for their API Gateway.

I’ve been trying to investigate what’s happening, but I can’t seem to find much information in our Auth0 logs. The only request that matches the timeframe of the last time the issue occurred was successful, but it doesn’t mention how long it took to respond.

If I could get assistance in determining what is happening and potentially how to fix it, I would very much appreciate it!

1 Like

I’m having this issue as well. @maxime.st-laurent did you ever come to a resolution?

We sadly haven’t. We’re still plagued by it to this day. We’re considering using Cognito as an OIDC provider instead of Auth0, since we can’t seem to get reliable performance :frowning: