Apple store rejected app because of "Sign in with apple" styles

My app was rejected by the Apple store based on the button styling / design of the Auth0 buttons in the Universal login.

My app at the time of rejection was using the Classic with v 11.24.1 lock js package.

Here is the message from Apple:

Guideline 4.0 - Design

We noticed an issue in your app that contributes to a lower quality user experience than Apple users expect:

Next Steps

To resolve this issue, please revise your app to address all instances of this type of issue.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting that!

Let me talk it over the team responsible for that. Can you just let me know which docs / quickstart have you used to have Sign In With Apple? Thanks!

1 Like

I just followed the exact documentation on the toggle to add Apple sign in in the “Social” tab.

No customizations have been made to my form other than logo and colours. I just appealed to the apple team and updated to use the newer universal login. (Not the classic)

I will let you know if i have word from the apple reviewers.

I specifically built my app via expo (React native) using stock Auth0 features.

Perfect! Let me know once you have a response from them!

After following through with the review it is still being rejected for button styles :confused:

Guideline 4.0 - Design

We noticed an issue in your app that contributes to a lower quality user experience than Apple users expect:

Next Steps

To resolve this issue, please revise your app to address all instances of this type of issue.

Resources

For information on improving and enhancing your app:

I just got off the phone with apple and the ONLY reason my app is getting rejected is because it seems that there is a “grey” border around the “Sign up with apple” button. That border needs to be black as in their interface guidelines.

They will not approve the app until the border on the button is changed to the colour black. If there is anything I can do to help out I would love to be of assistance. I am in a tough spot because the only way forward for me is if the Universal login button border is updated.

Thanks for your time on the phone today.

As we discussed, your app has been rejected for the App Store Review Guideline detailed below.

Guideline 4.0 - Design

Specifically, your Sign in with Apple button is outlined in gray.

We hope you will consider making the necessary changes to be in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines and will resubmit your revised binary.

That’s SPAM. I just deleted that post. Sorry for that!

Ok, thanks! So I am kind of in a catch 22 right now… is there anything on my end that I can do to update Universal button borders?

Sorry John for not posting the update. I’ve just been told that the team is following up with you on the GitHub issue you raised here:

https://github.com/auth0/react-native-auth0/issues/310

Please let’s keep the conversation there as I know some of our engineering responsible for the Apple part of stack as well as those responsible for Universal Login are working on that know. Certainly there’s an issue that will need to be fixed and we’re working on that!

1 Like

@konrad.sopala

Our app was also just rejected by Apple referencing the same issue John was having trouble with. We are using lock/11.24.1/lock.min.js.

We have requested more guidance from Apple as all they provided was the following screenshot.

Interestingly enough, we were previously rejected as we had the prior “Log In with Apple” button; updated to use “Sign in with Apple” and cleared that issue. So we thought we were in the clear and apparently we are not.

I would request a chat with the apple reviewer and mention in the guideline that the black button is used on a white background for contrast as the guidelines state. It also uses the 44px height with accurate font scale. It took me a total of 4 reviews with the review team to get approved.

Yep the hard thing with Apple Reviews (and I’m saying that from my past experience as an iOS developer) is that you can even have a few reviews by different people even without you applying some changes and eventually someone will approve it from Apple…

All in all our team is in contact with Apple so they should update you soon in the GitHub issue above.

Thanks for that. We have requested to chat with Apple but have heard crickets. Have also taken your recommendation to point how specifically how the button is in compliance with the guidelines. Have gotten silence back from Apple Reviewer so far so may have to just re-submit and try another “new” build… Frustrating. Thanks again for the reply.

1 Like

Also keep your eyes open for the comments in the Github issue that @Johnsgaard created. Our product manager will soon have the info from the Apple team so we’ll see where it goes officially.

Thanks Konrad. I see the Github issued has been closed. Sounds like auth0 is aware and I have opened a support ticket just so its documented in the auth0 history books. I hope that this gets standardized quickly as the amount of time we are spending (as a community, including Apple) on this button is about as useful as [insert metaphor for non-value add activity].

As soon as I have any update I’ll share it with you!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.