Any else seeing passwordless emails not being received?

Starting to see issues with the passwordless emails around 9:30 am CST on 7/18/2022.
Auth0 is indicating that the emails are going out but I don’t see any deliveries being made to internal or external users. Currently the dashboard indicates that everything is up.

Hi @Riv,

Thanks for reaching out to the Auth0 Community!

I understand that you have been observing Passwordless Emails not being received by the recipient.

In this situation, could you please clarify if you have configured your Custom SMTP Email Provider correctly?

And, could you please confirm if your Auth0 Logs show that the Emails are sent but never received? Have you taken a look at your Custom SMTP Email Provider logs to see if there are any clues to why the Emails are not being received?

Lastly, could you please DM me your tenant name for me to investigate your settings further?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

I’m having a similar issue as well. I’m clicking the link to reset my password, but not receiving any email to actually reset my password?

Here is my domain:

dev-7-8i89hb.us.auth0.com

Thanks,

Rob

Hi @robliou01,

Thank you for your message.

After inspecting your tenant, I saw that you have a custom SMTP Email Provider configured, but I did not find any change password reset logs.

In this situation, could you please check your Auth0 logs to see if the change password request was successful?

To do so, I recommend filtering for “type”: “scpr” for Successful Change Password Request logs and “type”: “fcpr” for Failed Change Password Request logs. This should indicate if the change password request forwarded the request to your Custom SMTP Email Provider to send a Password Reset email.

If that is the case, I recommend checking your logs in your Custom SMTP Email Provider to see if the emails are successfully being sent.

As an alternative, you could perform a test by disabling your custom SMTP Email Provider and using the Auth0 Default Email Provider to verify that the Change Password email is received by the recipient.

Please let me know how this goes.

Thank you.

Rueben,

Thanks for the reminder to check the logs!

So I made another attempt to reset my password, and then checked the logs. So it looks like the request is successful, but the sending of the response email is failing.

The error message I’m getting is as follows:

““error”: “unable to verify the first certificate””

Any idea what is this certificate the error message is referring to, and how to rectify the issue?

Thanks,

Hi @robliou01,

Thank you for your response.

After looking into this error further, I found that the error happens when Auth0 tries to set up a TLS connection with the custom email provider you have configured. However, the connection failed and the email could not be sent out. With that, could you please use the following testing tools to troubleshoot the errors of the provider:

Please let me know how this works for you.

Thank you.

Hi Rueben,

I appreciate the response and apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I used the links you sent to check the health of my Gmail address.

There doesn’t appear to be any errors:

I did try sending to an Outlook address I use, and the confirm email didn’t appear to go through to it either. Though, when I ran the tests, here is what I got, which were a few warnings and one error. I’m not sure if it’s related, though?

However, I’m wondering if the reason the original gmail address isn’t working is because that email is attached to my main ID; and I’ve used other forms (Gmail, LinkedIn, etc.) attached to that ID to log in already? Therefore, when I enable password protection, the system doesn’t also send the confirmation email?

Or is my understanding incorrect?

Thanks,

Rob

1 Like

EDIT: Was able to solve the issue below. Simply deleting cookies and history from the browser fixes the issue!

Additionally, when I try to log in now using a normal security method (i.e. non-password), I can no longer do that, as the app generates repeated error messages. The error messages are telling me that the previous user I tried to login with needs to authenticate with Auth0.

Is there a way to reset things so that I no longer get this error?

Thanks,

1 Like

Hi @rueben.tiow ,

Appreciate your response.

It turns out the answer was actually much simpler; I didn’t need to use/configure a custom SMTP Email Provider, the default Auth0 email provider is enough to do the job. Switching to the default allowed the emails to pass through.

Thanks again,

Rob

1 Like

Hi @robliou01,

Thank you for your response and updates!

My apologies for not getting back to you sooner. I’m glad you managed to work around the problem by switching back to the default Auth0 email provider.

I would like to add that the Auth0 email provider should only be used for testing purposes, and in production, we encourage customers to use a custom SMTP email provider. There could be times when the Auth0 email provider may be delayed.

Because of that reason, it may be worth considering using a custom SMTP email provider in the future.

Please reach out again if you have any additional questions.

Thank you!

1 Like