Adding Username/Password Auth Error

I’ll try to be brief. We are using auth0 for login to our site, primarily through the google/social connection type, returning an RS256-based JWT.
Our data team wants to be able to call the same APIs that our frontend does, via an automated script and a service account. I tried logging into google programmatically but it doesn’t seem like that is well supported anymore.
I then looked into adding username/password auth, to be used solely internally. I added a database connection type, enabled it in our application, and created a test user. I even verified the user’s email. But, when I go to “sign in as user”, I get back the following error;

Connection type Username-Password-Authentication is not defined in the VALID_CONNECTIONS array.

I’m open to either a hint as to why u/n auth is not working or a better way to obtain a JWT usable with our API that does not require user interaction (and preferably that won’t need manual intervention when the public keys are rotated)

Thanks,

Patrick Abbott

Hi @pabbott,

Welcome to the Auth0 Community!

I understand you encountered an error when logging in, specifically with the "Connection type Username-Password-Authentication is not defined in the VALID_CONNECTIONS array" error.

After my investigation, I found that you have some Rules enabled that are contributing to this unique error message.

In this case, I recommend that you go to your Rules and include Username-Password-Authentication into your VALID_CONNECTIONS array to solve the issue.

Lastly, you may find our Call Your API Using Resource Owner Password Flow documentation useful.

I hope this helps!

Please let me know if I can do anything else to help.

Thanks,
Rueben

3 Likes

Ah, that’s super obvious now. I should have thought to look through the rules.

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.