Username-Password-Authentication errors

Hello,

I’ve setup a new auth0 account, make all the application/api setup, but when i try to login with the user/password authentication, i get this error:

{
  "error": "access_denied",
  "error_description": "secretOrPrivateKey must have a value"
}

I was able to create a new user without problems, it’s just when trying to login.

I get this error by testing with a valid user on:
Connections > Database > Username-Password-Authentication > Try Connection

Here is the result:

I’ve tested with a node/express example and i get the same result.

I have a different account (for another customer) who works fine, so, maybe i’m missing some configuration.

I can’t find any solution on the forum or google looking for secretOrPrivateKey.

Thanks.-

Hi @skydiver ,

Welcome to Auth0 Community!

Is this happening after the user enters their credentials or just after when you click “Try Connection”? Does this happen when your test is involving an actual application instead of the “Try Connection” option?

Additionally, do you have any rules set up that do something related to JWT? If so, can you try again after disabling that rule?

Let us know your observations. Thank you!

2 Likes

Hey @supun, thanks for the reply

I found the issue; there was a missing env variable for a rule.

This confuses me because in the other client account was working fine so i thought it was a generic auth0 error message, but was the code of the rule.

Your comments served as inspiration to enable/disable rules and start looking the code.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

Glad to hear you were able to find the error. Happy to help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.