WordPress plugin: Could not create user. The registration process is not available

I am setting up the Auth0 WordPress plugin for the first time. I went through the manual setup as I have an existing database connection I want to use. I am able to login using an email address that already exists as a WordPress user, but not one that does not. The site has “Anyone can register” unselected. The auth0 plugin has “Auto Provisioning” enabled. I don’t see any relevant details in the plugin log or the auth0 log. The auth0 user does have their email verified. I am not a WordPress expert, so I may be missing something simple. This is the message I see on the website after submitting the login form.

There was a problem with your log in: Could not create user. The registration process is not available. Please contact your site’s administrator. [error code: unknown]

As far as I’m aware the auto provisioning enabled should allow this flow without the anyone can register being enabled.

Just as a quick test have you already tried to disable auto provisioning and enable (even if temporarily) the anyone can register option to see if you can then complete a login with the same user that triggers the error?

New users who use signup form cant login to wordpress. 3.8.1 issue

No error code in plugin error page
Auth0 dashboard log is shows user is created seccesfuly and everything exchanged.
Same user also created in wordpress as its expected. User just cant login.

mcdvoice survey

To fix the following error, make sure ‘Anyone can register’ is checked on the Wordpress Settings->General page

There was a problem with your log in: Could not create user. The registration process is not available. Please contact your site’s administrator. [error code: unknown]