Use Docker to Create a Node Development Environment

Leverage Docker images and containers to create an isolated Node development environment that runs a server.

Read on >> Use Docker to Create a Node Development Environment

1 Like

So this doesn’t work for me when I use docker-compose run, but does work when I use docker run. When using docker-compose I always get “Site can’t be reached”.

You have to use “–service-ports” with “docker-compose run …” Otherwise, the ports aren’t exposed and mapped. This post should be edited to reflect that fact.

2 Likes

Yep that fixed it. Thanks!

Great catch! That was on oversight on my part. Thank you for helping out @unclejustin :grinning: I was out sick these past days.
I will be updating the post right away :slight_smile:

Do you have any developers using Windows? Concurrent file access with host mounted volumes appears to be a problem experienced in Docker for Windows: Files are randomly not found in shared folder when using Win10 host and Linux container · Issue #969 · docker/for-win · GitHub

1 Like

@jzamor Thank you for bringing up this concern! I am currently in the process of researching Docker in a Windows environment and also Windows Containers. I am waiting for a few resources to line up to be able to provision a native Windows OS :pray: Please stay tuned and thank you for reading :muscle:

When I run the container we docker-compose it keeps restarting. when I run docker logs node (name of container) there is no logs. Not sure what I am doing wrong here can you help please?
Everything work perfect with the dockerrun command
docker run --rm -it --name node-docker
-v $PWD:/home/app -w /home/app
-e “PORT=3000” -p 8080:3000
-u node node:latest /bin/bash

Dockerfile in node folder
FROM node:latest
WORKDIR /home/app
USER node
ENV PORT 3000
EXPOSE 3000
ENTRYPOINT /bin/bash

dockercompose
version: ‘3.7’
services:
node:
build: node/
hostname: node
container_name: node
restart: always
ports:
- 9005:3000
volumes:
- ${USERDIR}/node:/home/app
I have a .env file created for the ${USERDIR} pointing to /srv/dev-disk-by-label-media/server/config/LEMP