Unable to save username on kindle Fire using Silk Browser or Chrome

We have an app that uses browser-based login. We set the browser to save userame, but the prompt is not provided when entering username/password

I have tested with other websites and the username prompt works as expected in the silk and chrome browser on kindle fire 7. Our app saves usernames properly on iphone and android phones.

Are there limitations on using browser-based login when saving usernames on kindle Fire 7 tablet?

Hey there!

To be honest - hard to say! I bet that the team developing that feature didn’t test it on Fire 7 as it’s not that popular device and we’re not able to test every device. Can you tell me which part of our stack have you exactly used for that? Thanks!

We are using browser based login

Do you remember what SDK you used for that?

When I attempt to login using this browser-based implementation, the modal pops up that looks like it is attempting to save the username when I begin to type password, but all this is displayed is a black key. Typically, it is an orange key with a prompt to save username.

I get that but do you remember what SDK you used to implement that?

In the mobile apps, we used Auth0.OidcClient.iOS for iOS and Auth0.OidcClient.Android for Android. They’re open source libraries from Auth0 for integrating mobile apps with Auth0 - but basically implementations of the OIDC standard.

Gotchya let me reach to responsible team and find more about that issue!

1 Like

The team asked me to ask you (:slight_smile: ) to open a GitHub issue in the repo so they can work with you directly on that/ Here’s the link to it:

make sure to share the link to the issue with us so we can ping them. Thanks!

1 Like

Perfect! I just pinged repo maintainers about that!

RESPONSE:
We don’t actually support or test Fire OS which Kindle devices use in this SDK. While they are based on Android they deviate in many subtle ways - the browser being one of them. I’m kind of surprised it works at all, to be honest, but I can provide a little more background information if that will be of help.

On Android, this SDK calls the “Chrome Custom Tab” with the login URL and then waits for that API to complete. Despite the name Chrome Custom Tabs can be implemented by any browser not just Chrome and I know Firefox also supports it and presumably based on your screenshot Amazon Silk too.

However, what these browsers do once we pass it the URL is entirely outside of the control of this SDK - which is what Chrome Custom Tabs is all about (if we can’t interfere we can’t break functionality when the browser upgrades nor can malicious apps intercept what’s being entered).

I can only assume that Amazon Silk has an issue with saving passwords in Chrome Custom Tabs mode - it looks like Chrome itself used to as well based on 676814 - chromium - An open-source project to help move the web forward. - Monorail

One thing you could try is using SystemBrowser on Fire OS and see if that then is happy to save passwords.

var auth0Client = new Auth0Client {
new Auth0ClientOptions {
// rest of config options
Browser = isFireOS ? (IBrowser) new SystemBrowser() : new ChromeCustomTabsBrowser()
}
}
I’m not sure how you can reliably detect Fire OS though.

With Fire7 not supported due to Custom Tabs logic, is there another strategy we can use to enable easy authentication? In other words, since we cannot offer the ability to save credentials, does Auth0 offer an alternate authentication thoat does not require the user to enter their un/pw? Is there a pin or other similar mechanism for easy access? We have the app designed to logout the user after 10 minutes of inactivity for data security.

We do have other types of authentications methods. One of them is passwordless but I’m not able if that’s applicable here:

Do you know if we can update a user’s username and allow them login via that?

You should be able to do that via dashboard (when you click the Actions button) but if not it seems like you can use this endpoint from our Management API to do that:

Hey there!

Have you had a chance to test that out?

It is not accessible on the dashboard via actions. We have not had the time yet to add in the endpoint.
Thank you

Gotchya! Let us know once you have!

Friendly ping if you had a chance to test that out :slight_smile: