Provide understandable errors in universal sign up / login forms

Hi Auth0 team and community,

Is there a way to show more precise error messages with universal login ? Our users have every time this message: Something went wrong, please try again later for any kind of error.

In the example above, an error like “The user already exists” ie the error description would better fit for the end user.

Thanks a lot for your help

2 Likes

@clement1 One thing you can try is going to your tenant dashboard and going to…

Settings > Advanced (tab) > and disable the “Use a generic response in public signup API error message” toggle (under “Settings” section).

Be aware that this is toggled on by default for security reasons - anyone can try signing up with an email address. Using the “generic” error message would prevent any hackers from knowing which emails exists in your tenant.

I believe this should provide a better default signup error message to your users in the New Universal Login screen, let me know!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot @gparascandolo,

Solved nearly totaly my problem.

Just one last thing: is there a way to throw and error if a user filled a non existing email in the auth0 database, instead of showing a success page ?

Thanks a lot

For security reasons mentioned above, Auth0 will always throw a success page after a user enters an email address for password resets (whether the email is valid/exists or not). Unfortunately, there is no way currently to prevent this from occurring.

You can, however, change the text on the success screen to fit your needs. See the following documentation here, under "reset-password" dropdown → "Screen: reset-password-email" section

Customize New Universal Login Text Prompts

2 Likes

@gparascandolo
Why you don’t put options on this kind of behavior ?

This is really confusing for many users, there are no way for a user to see that he entered his email in the wrong way in this case.

I mean, Auth0 users are not all developers or digital native users.

@clement1 To clarify, I do not work for Auth0 but I have asked about this in the past and am sharing my knowledge with you.

Hopefully an Auth0 employee will come into this thread and answer why they have it work this way for you. When I have asked in the past, they have stated it was for the security reasons above.

1 Like

Ah ok sorry, thanks a lot @gparascandolo !

2 Likes

Teamwork makes the dream work!