Password reset email shows successful in log, but isn't received by certain domain

We have SendGrid setup as our external email provider. In SendGrid, we have an authenticated domain, eg. ‘xxx@authdomain.com,’ in addition to single sender emails, eg. ‘example@authdomain.com’ and ‘example@fakeemail.com’.

I then went into the ‘Email Templates’ section in Auth0 to configure the ‘Change Password’ email template and set the ‘from’ email as the ‘example@fakeemail.com’. When testing the password reset flow, we got emails for other domains like gmail and hotmail, but not for the email of the same domain, ie. ‘@fakeemail.com’. However, Auth0 logs showed that those emails had been sent successfully. The emails weren’t even delayed, never received.

Considering that the domain was an issue, the ‘from’ email was then updated to ‘example@authdomain.com’ and it worked just fine. Do we potentially need to update our authenticated domain in SendGrid to use ‘example@fakeemail.com,’ as that is our preference, or can this be fixed in Auth0?

Thank you in advance!

Hi @tam1,

Welcome to the Auth0 Community!

I understand that you have questions about configuring your Custom SMTP Email Provider, specifically with password reset emails.

From what I understand, I believe you will need to adjust your authenticated domain in Sendgrid to use your preferred email address. This value cannot be altered in Auth0. Once that is complete, I believe you can send the password reset emails without problems.

Please let me know how this works for you.

Thank you.