New Universal Login Experience autocorrects and autocapitalizes email field

Title is pretty self-explanatory. Email addresses shouldn’t be autocapitalized, nor autocorrected. In many cases this is frustrating, and in common cases this can lead to inadvertent wrong identity data stored. For example if I don’t notice it autocorrects “eir” to “Eric” per the attached screenshot, I now have a User record with incorrect identity.

2 Likes

Hey there!

Let me report it to appropriate team and see what they have to share on that front!

1 Like

@konrad.sopala Any news on this? Looking at the html, the input tag’s type attribute is set to “text”. Should be “email”, no? Either that or slap an autocapitalize=“off” in there? Hoping for a quick fix! Thanks!

Hey there!

Sorry for the delay in response! I just got the confirmation from one of the product managers that it’s been added to their backlog and they’re working on it. Will let you know as soon as it gets deployed!

1 Like

@konrad.sopala still nothing? :frowning:

Let me follow up with them!

Hey there!

I just got a followup that the team is currently analysing that item in their backlog but still no ETA on that front.

It looks like the input for entering your email during login is not type="email" but rather type="text" with a number of other attributes set to make it work like an email input (eg. inputmode="email"). If you were to use type="email" I think it would work a lot better.

Just to clarify. The input I’m referring to is the input on the Auth0 universal login page. So it’s really up to Auth0 to fix this issue. As a work around, you can customize the login page template with a script tag that modifies the type of the input. Eg.

<script>
      window.addEventListener("load", () => {
        document.querySelectorAll("input[inputmode=email]").forEach((input) => input.type = "email");
      });
    </script>
1 Like

Thank you for sharing it with the rest of community James!