Mandrill planned downtime on January 11, 2020

Mailchimp’s Mandrill email delivery service announced a planned downtime to upgrade and improve their infrastructure on January 11, 2020 6 am-12 pm UTC (6 hours maximum). We’re writing to you because this will generate disruptions with the email delivery service built-in Auth0 and with customers using Mandrill as a custom email provider.

What will happen if I’m using Mandrill as a custom email provider on my Auth0 tenant?

If you’re using Mandrill as a custom email provider, no transactional emails from your Auth0 tenant will be sent as a result of this downtime. Mandrill announced they won’t be queuing emails during the downtime so emails sent during this time will not be automatically sent when the service is operational again. Read the Mandrill announcement and FAQ here.

Affected emails templates:

• All customer-facing emails: Verification, Welcome, MFA Enrollment, Change Password, Blocked Account Email, Password Breach Alert, Verification Code for Email MFA and OTP-Passwordless
  • Notification emails for Dashboard Admins: Anomaly Detection notifications (Blocked IP Address and Breached Password)

Workarounds

• If you have a backup email service (check supported email providers) you can use it to avoid disruptions for customer-facing transactional emails.
  • Notification emails for Dashboard Admins won’t work even with another custom email provider since those are sent from our system using Mandrill. As a workaround for Anomaly Detection events, you can check your tenant logs to view relevant information.

What will happen if I don’t have a custom email provider configured on my Auth0 tenant?

If you don’t have a custom email provider configured in your tenant, you’re using the email delivery service we provide for testing purposes. This shared email provider runs on Mandrill so no transactional emails from your Auth0 tenant will be sent during the downtime. Mandrill announced they won’t be queuing emails during the downtime so emails sent during this time will not be automatically sent when the service is operational again. Read the Mandrill announcement and FAQ here.

Affected emails templates:

• All customer-facing emails: Verification, Welcome, MFA Enrollment, Change Password, Blocked Account Email, Password Breach Alert, Verification Code for Email MFA and OTP-Passwordless
  • Notification emails for Dashboard Admins: Anomaly Detection notifications (Blocked IP Address and Breached Password)

Workarounds

• Set up a custom email provider other than Mandrill (check supported email providers) to avoid disruptions for customer-facing transactional emails. Please note that this is general advice since the email delivery service we provide is for testing purposes and it should not be used in production environments.
  • Notification emails for Dashboard Admins will not work even with another custom email provider configured since those are sent from our system using Mandrill. As a workaround for Anomaly Detection events, you can check your tenant logs to view relevant information.

What will happen if I’m using a custom email provider other than Mandrill on my Auth0 tenant?

If you’re using a custom email provider other than Mandrill, the only disruption you’ll experience during the downtime will be that the Anomaly Detection notifications (Blocked IP Address and Breached Password) sent to Dashboard admins will not be delivered. As a workaround for Anomaly Detection events, you can check your tenant logs to view relevant information.

We are sorry about this situation since we know our service is critical to our customers. If you have any doubts, please do not hesitate to reach out via the Community, our Support Team, or your Technical Account Manager if you’re an Enterprise customer.

The Auth0 team

Please let us know if you have any questions!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.