Keep getting logged out of this community

Hi All

As I try to up my Auth0 skills (and learn Javascript, and come to terms with the lameness of IE) I keep finding myself being logged out of this community, and to a lesser extent my Auth0 account, sometimes after just a few minutes.

During testing I am using ...auth0.com/v2/logout endpoint to force users to logout of my SPA; this does not seem to log me out of the community / account but thought I’d mention.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot / extend the session?

TIA, S

Hey there @stevo, I just want to make sure I understand correctly but you are saying you are being getting logged out from Community.auth0.com after just a few minutes in some cases? What browser are you using? Do you have any plugins installed that may be playing a part in this this matter? Any additional details you could give on the subject could help us in identifying what may be occurring. Thanks!

Hi @James.Morrison - sorry for the delayed reply, travelling.

Yes, you have a handle on the problem - simply put I can log into my account (this account) do a search, then try to start a thread (or reply to one) and I have to log in again. I’d say time between logins can be as short as 5 mins.

I’m using Chrome and don’t think there are any ~plugins~ extensions at play; but just to be sure, here they are:

• Chrome Regex Search
  • Dropbox for Gmail
  • Google Docs Offline
  • Insightly Sidebar for Gmail
  • Newsletter Creator for Gmail - Flashissue
  • Plus for Trello (time track, reports)
  • Toggl Button: Productivity & Time Tracker
  • Trello
  • Chrome Apps (Docs, Sheets, Slides)

TIA, S

That sounds like a really odd situation you are running into there. If you start a HAR file capture as you browse can you capture the moment that you are booted from the service by chance? Once you have it, please DM me the file so I can take a look. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hi @James.Morrison - thank you for the link, I’ll have a go and see what happens. Cheers, S

@stevo as @James.Morrison said getting us a HAR file will be super helpful! We have a few internal people struggling with that as well but it seems like the problem is gone after a while. It may be coming from our hosting service!

Thanks for any info on that!

1 Like

@James.Morrison @konrad.sopala UPDATE I have been logged in for 3 days now in the same session.

I had not disabled any of the extensions, however I have not spent much time at the PC either and have not been ~using~ testing Auth0 at all.

In particular I have not visited the ...auth0.com/v2/logout endpoint (which I had been using during testing and think may be implicated).

I was hoping to follow up this morning @stevo and see how everything is going? If you are still experiencing the issue, the next step would be to snag us a HAR file during the problematic workflow so we can take another look at what may be occurring. Thanks.

@James.Morrison - I’m starting to think I’ve done something silly (like clearing cookies, which was frequent during initial testing) and that could be the cause, however I was aware of such things at the time and was sure sessions were ending even more frequently. Now the issue seem to have vanished. I plan on more testing soon so perhaps that will shed some more light on things. Sorry for the potential red herring :confounded:

@James.Morrison @konrad.sopala I can confirm that I’m an idiot, 99% sure of this.

When the issue was happening I was clearing browser history “for the past hour” in Chrome. And doing so did not log me out of the community, my best guess being because I had been logged in for more than an hour… This miserable fact (and the fact that I have monitors galore each with their own Chrome windows) lulled me into a false sense of security. But eventually I needed to clear more than an hours worth of cache and at that point I’m guessing I got logged out but I failed to make the connection.

Thanks for the offers of help, I’ll chalk this one up to the experience of an embarrassing user error and hope others can learn from it.

No worries! Let us know if you have any questions in the future!

No problem @stevo, we are just happy everything came together in the end. Like Konrad said, keep us posted in the future in your have any questions we can help with!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.