Introducing Auth0 Actions!

Actions are secure, tenant-specific, self-contained functions that allow you to customize the behavior of Auth0. Each action is bound to a specific triggering event on the Auth0 platform. Auth0 invokes the custom code of these Actions when the corresponding triggering event is produced at runtime. Actions will work in tandem with Rules and Hooks!

Planned Beta Rollout:

• October 27th: Beta will open in Australia
  • November 5th: Beta will open in Europe
  • November 9th: Beta will open in the Americas
  • November 16th: Avocado Labs Actions live stream

Find out more about Action’s in our latest how-to blog post written by @tyler.clark!

6 Likes

2 Likes

Auth0 Actions beta is now open for Australia and Europe!

1 Like

Auth0 Actions Beta is now available everywhere! Please share your feedback with us as you use it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve briefly tried to use the new Actions feature to see if it would give a proper session Id (the one that’s visible in the logs). Unfortunately, it doesn’t.

I have written quite a few Rules. My main point of constructive criticism for Actions is around the developing/debugging experience. With Rules I could put console.log statements everywhere and see the output in the debug window while logging on with a real user.

With the new Actions, it seems that the only way to test is to manually set a test payload, which doesn’t give me much confidence since I don’t know how a real payload will differ from what I put in.

With the new Actions, all console.log output is concatenated together in a string and truncated after 267 characters. This makes the development workflow for actions very difficult.

3 Likes

Thank you for this feedback @zane, I will be sure to share it with the team!

Hey there, just letting you know that I’ve created my first rule. I don’t think I’m using it exactly as it is intended, however it looks to be working as we need. Happy days :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad to hear that anyways! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve got a few Qs.

Can you give some examples, in what situations would I consider using an Action rather than a Rule? The Rules seem pretty flexible already.

Also will there be any documentation on the ‘event’ and ‘context’ objects, similar to the way there are user and context objects for Rules?

Can or will Actions work with Blocked users? Like a ‘blocked’ trigger?

Let me ask those questions to the Actions product manager and get back to you with the news!

1 Like

Hey there Sha!

I looked through our docs and there are the docs for event and context object within Actions. More about it here:

Hello Auth0 team,
I am seeking to use Actions to call a Graph API but am struggling to capture a user’s access_token from Auth0’s payload. Actions appears to only accept a nested object as a payload (per the sample payload in the sandbox) whereas the payload I’m receiving from Auth0 is flat. My question is two part 1) can I manipulate the object passed into my Action and if not 2) is there a way to write my action to work with a flat object? Thanks!

Hi there @Lee_Peters and welcome to the Auth0 Community!

Let me take this back to our team and I will let you know what I find. Thanks in advance!

I love the new Actions and the possibilities they offer. I’d go ahead and rewrite all of the Rules into Actions as I find the API much more appealing. To make that happen though, I am missing a few things like either a Management API Token, or direct access to Roles and Permissions / Scopes. Either way would work though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for providing such feedback! It would be great if you can relay it directly to our product managers through our product feedback form here:

1 Like

Can you make HTTP requests or import other libraries within Action’s code?

1 Like

It would be awesome if the “save draft” and “deploy” buttons could hold state, so they are disabled if no changes are present.

2 Likes

It would be great if you can share that feedback with business context in our Feedback category here:

A post was split to a new topic: Transfering data between actions