Email address become automatically verified after changing email address and user login

Hi there,

I am implementing changing user’s email address and re-verifying email address using management API. I update user with:
{ email_verified: false, email: <new_email_address>, verify_email: true, connection: ‘Username-Password-Authentication’ }
In the response I have:
{ email: <new_email_address>, email_verified: false }
But after user login with the new email address without clicking the link in the verification email, “email_verified” changes to “true” automatically.

I also tried to update a user using only “verify_email” or “email_verified”, but I got the same behavior as describe above.

2 Likes

Hey there!

That’s definitely not expected behaviour. Let me research that and get back to you soon!

1 Like

Hello,

Just wanted to add that I am experiencing this as well. But I’m pretty sure it wasn’t doing this about a week ago as I was testing resend email verification functionality using the email_verified flag.

In case it provides more diagnostic info, I’m using the JS auth0 package ManagementClient.updateUser action to update the user email, email_verified (false), and verify_email (true) properties. At this point the user info in auth0 is as expected. Upon logout using the auth0-react package, still good.

Upon login using the react package shows that the email_verified flag is now set to true automatically.

Thanks

Thanks for providing that context. I’ll let you know as soon as I find something

1 Like

@konrad.sopala
Any new updates?
We are experiencing the same problem.
Seems like with the accounts that verified by email(via “magic link”) the email_verified flag can not be updated, since it’s always true no matter what we set.
On the other hand, the accounts that was not verified or verified via Auth0 dashboard can be easily updated(email_verified flag). So weird.