Dev/staging tenants and subscription limits

Hello. I am trying to understand how Dev/Staging tenants interact with B2B Essentials/Professional subscription limits.

I’ve read this post written by @rueben.tiow:

But this seems potentially outdated now that B2B Essentials/Professional subscriptions have an explicit number of “Dev/Staging” tenants included as part of the plan per Pricing - Auth0.

And it looks like you can now link multiple tenants to a single “team” and share your subscription with Dev/Staging/Prod tenants.

However, this comes with a huge caveat because each tenant in a team appears to count toward the limits of one subscription.

So, for example, let’s say I have a B2B Professional subscription and I associate that with my team. And let’s say I have a Production tenant and a Staging tenant which I want to be keep as identical as possible.

I have 6 Actions in my Production tenant. If I create those same Actions in my Staging tenant, now I have 12 total Actions for the team. And this exceeds the limits of my B2B Professional subscription.

So effectively the new approach to tenants seems like it is lowering my effective limits. Am I understanding this correctly?

Or maybe put another way, with the introduction of teams and linking subscriptions to multiple tenants, am I still able to operate with non-linked Staging and Production tenants? Each having its own dedicated per-tenant subscription and limits? That way my identical Staging and Production Actions don’t effectively cut my limit in half (or in thirds if I had near-identical Dev/Staging/Prod tenants).

Hi @eyablonowitz,

Thanks for reaching out to the Auth0 Community!

I have asked our product team for clarification on the limit to the Number of Production Tenants and Number of Development/Staging Tenants for a B2B Professional subscription plan.

I was informed that the limits are enforced on self-service plans, as shown in the screenshot below:

In summary, your B2B Professional subscription plan will get 2 Production Tenants and 4 Non-Production tenants.

I hope the clarification helped!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Rueben

Thanks @rueben.tiow. But I don’t think you addressed the core of my question. Let me quickly restate:

1. Does a Staging tenant sharing a B2B Essentials/Pro subscription in a Team count toward the subscription limits (e.g. Action limits) effectively cutting in half the limits if my Staging/Prod tenants have a near-identical setup (e.g. same Actions)?

and if so…

1. Do I have the option of not using a Team and keeping my Staging/Prod tenants under 2 separate B2B Essentials/Pro subscriptions to avoid my Limits being cut in half? This is what I would have done before the introduction of the Teams concept, but I want to make sure I can still do it now?

Hi @eyablonowitz,

Thanks for your reply.

In the case of Actions, each tenant has a limit of 10 Actions in the Professional B2B plan. So if Staging Tenant A has 6 Actions and Production Tenant B also has 6 Actions, it should not go over your limit of 10 Actions each.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,
Rueben

Thanks @rueben.tiow. So just to check my understanding about what you are saying:
When a B2B Essentials/Professional subscription applied to a Team with 3 linked tenants (dev/staging/prod), each tenant gets the full limits of the subscription.

To use another example, assuming a B2B Essentials Plan, each tenant could use 3 Enterprise Connections.

Do I have that right?

@rueben.tiow just following-up on my last question?

Hi @eyablonowitz,

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, you have understood it correctly. So, in this case, your dev, staging, and prod tenants can each have 10 actions per tenant.

And yes, as well, each tenant is allowed up to 3 Enterprise Connections with the B2B Essentials plan.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Cheers,
Rueben

1 Like