Allow user bulk updates from Management APIS

Feature: Allow user bulk updates from Management APIS

Description:
As a Management API client, I can perform mass updates on multiple user IDs, e.g.

// user 1 metadata
{
   "locations": ["TX","CA","CO","IA"]
}
// user 2 metadata
{
   "locations": ["TX","WI","NY","NV"]
}

for: [user1,user2] do:

{
  "locations": {$pull: "TX"}
}
// user 1 metadata
{
   "locations": ["CA","CO","IA"]
}
// user 2 metadata
{
   "locations": ["WI","NY","NV"]
}

Use-case: As recently stated here by another user, I also tried to mass update user metadata, where I store certain user roles and permissions. I did that by using the POST v2/users endpoint in the management API. unfortunately, after everything went great on my dev env, I noticed that with hundrets of users, the rate limit was hit:

{
  "statusCode": 429,
  "error": "Too Many Requests",
  "message": "Global per second users_write group limit has been reached",
  "errorCode": "too_many_requests"
}

This is a real bummer as we invested a lot into this feature and the integration with auth0, it would help us a lot if we could perform updates for a list of users performing a metadata change as described above.

Thank you for creating this feedback card!

I really hope it will get as many votes as possible so let’s see if there is interest in it coming from other community users! Thank you!

Is there a workaround for this until this feature is available?
Do we just have to throttle our update requests?

Nvm, found the info in the docs

1 Like

No worries, glad you’ve found it!

For my company this will be a much appreciated feature. Our platform hosts subscriptions with many users linked to them. For some use cases we want to modify multiple users at once.

It’s very cumbersome to call the management API for each user separately minding the API rate limits.

I voted because our company is looking for the same feature to GET /users and GET /enrollments. And we need to do it bulk. We have around 200K users and due the API limits it’s quite hard to obtain that information.

1 Like

Thank you for providing the context everyone! In a few days but in general on a monthly basis we analyze the Feedback category with our Product teams and qualifying them for further development. Will let you know as soon as I have any good news!

Another related use case we hit often with rate limiting is in our test environments. We frequently delete/create test companies for API tests integration and automated web UI/UX tests which require workarounds specifically for non-production environments due to heavy rate limiting. Being able to bulk create/update users and their roles would greatly help the reliability of the tests without environment specific workarounds.