Wrapping my head around OIDC

I am having trouble understanding OIDC, I think I understand that it is not compulsory but is strongly recommended I am just not really sure why?

I am looking to put together my first Auth0 app (SPA + API) and I found a very recent and well put together article on the Auth0 Blog, unfortunately this article does not seem to mention OIDC anywhere and I was wondering if it did in fact demonstrate this: The Complete Guide to React User Authentication with Auth0

Question is, does the tutorial make use of OIDC, and if not should I be worried?

Cheers.

Hi chopfitzroy

Do follow the tutorial, it will help. It is very long, but there is a lot of good info in there.
OIDC is a layer on top of oauth2, and you can see that it is used because you are getting an ID token (way down in the tutorial).

So, work through the tutorial, then come back if you have more questions.

Luck.

John

Hey John,

Sorry I am aware my question was a little open ended, I just wanted to make sure the tutorial would point me in the right direction, save learning something only to have to relearn something else later on!

I am glad to hear this tutorial will do that! I really appreciate your feedback!

Cheers!

Hey there!

Sorry for such delay in response! We’re doing our best in providing the best developer support experience out there, but sometimes the number of incoming questions is just too big for our bandwidth. Sorry for such inconvenience!

Do you still require further assistance from us?