User migration questions

I am trying to migrate existing users.
These two errors are bothering

1. Username can only contain alphanumeric characters and the following characters
  2. Email address cannot be used as username.

Is there any option insert users with username as email address and special characters.

thanks
Ramana

Hi @nagramana

I cannot find much information on this error. Can you give us an example of your concerns?

I found this in a relevant support case:

After my investigation, I found that the “username is invalid. Email address cannot be used as username” error is being thrown when the custom database has the Requires Username and Import Users to Auth0 features enabled. Because of this, the provided username is rejected on authentication.

To workaround this issue, I recommend that you do one of the following:

1. Modify your login script to remove the “@domain” part from the email address to fabricate an acceptable username.
  2. Alternatively, you can disable the Requires Username feature in your custom database, provided that this is not a strict requirement.

Some user names contains white space and some contains asterix (*). Some of them are with other language characters (Chinese).

for username = email address. existing users are login with user name only. So we cannot disable username. Instead, we thought similar to your suggestion removing @domain.

So you wouldn’t be able to migrate those users into an auth0 db with those characters as they are. One option would be to convert the characters, then have a custom UI that does a conversion during signup/login. Spaces to underscores for example, and asterisk to _star_ or something like that. The chinese characters may be tougher, but there might be a way to convert those too.

You may be able to do this with a custom DB but that is a different route.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.