Use Auth0 instead of the IdP to do Single Sign On does not appear at all in app settings screen

Our applications currently use Universal Sign On and JWT token to authenticate the user. For one app to access another app we use Machine to Machine settings. However due to plan the machine to machine has hit the limit soon so we are looking into moving to SSO.

However when trying to test SSO, the option Use Auth0 instead of the IdP to do Single Sign On does not appear at all.

I have tried searching on the net but so far it seems like this is unique to our apps. I also tried testing it from a free account. The option was there but disabled, which I enabled by disabling the OIDC option. Here is how it looks:

2 questions:

1. is SSO the right way to handle the machine to machine limitation issue?
  2. Why the Use Auth0 instead of the IdP to do Single Sign On is not visible to us? is it due to the plan or something?

please guide

Starting with your second question the toggle you mention is an historical thing that in more recent tenants is not available so it is not plan related, it’s more due to being something that has been superseded. In addition, the lack of that toggle should not prevent you from leveraging SSO so I would not focus on that toggle not being available and instead would focus on the use case and the outcome you obtain independent of that toggle.

Now, in relation to the first question, it’s a bit more complex to say as machine to machine authentication imply authentication without the context of an end-user while SSO implies the existence of a user who performed a login. In conclusion, in general SSO would not be a replacement for machine to machine authentication.