Universal login form from auth0 SPA (React): screen_hint: signup is sometimes ignored

Please include the following information in your post:

• Which SDK this is regarding: auth0-react
  • SDK Version: 1.3.0

I’d open this as a github issue, but it’s not clear that this is a bug, or if it is a bug, that the bug is in the React SDK, the auth0 spa JS lib, or somewhere within the Auth0 backend. I figure this is the best place to start uncovering the expected behavior and if others have encountered the same issue…

I have a SPA react app using the react SDK. On web when I redirect to the Universal Login form using a url generated by buildAuthorizeUrl with screen_hint: 'signup' passed as a parameter, I am unreliably (but more often than not) redirected to the signup form. On iOS Chrome and Safari, however, I am consistently redirected to the login form, regardless of the screen_hint param value.

I assume this parameter deliberately includes “hint” in its name to suggest that under certain conditions this hint will be ignored. However, I do not know under which circumstances the parameter is ignored, and more importantly, I do not have a way to consistently send our new users to a dedicated sign up page.

So I have two questions:

1. How can I reliably and consistently send visitors of my site to the universal login signup page?
  2. If the screen_hint param is the right way to send traffic to the sign up form, why does the param value get ignored and how can I avoid this in the future?
2 Likes

For the initialScreen parameter, it’s signUp (camel case). Not sure if that’s the issue?

However, I had to add this to the branding → Login → Custom code initialScreen: config.extraParams.screen_hint || "login",.

I may have toggled to the custom code before it was properly fixed, as screen_hint signUp has never worked for me without adding that line.