Unable to verify the first certificate"

Help! nodeJS suddenly stopped working when doing silent auth. Been running perfectly for over tow years and then started to get unable to verify the first certificate"
How do I fix this. Production and dev are down!

Any help on resolving this would be critical!
Steve

1 Like

Hi @ssinclair thanks for reaching out, and I’m sorry to hear your environments aren’t functioning as expected.

A potential cause for this could be intermediate certificates were not installed on the server properly which caused a breakdown in the certificate chain. Here are some preliminary troubleshooting steps since I’m not familiar with your setup:

I’ve also seen this error gets generated from a customer’s Custom DB script, are you using Custom DB’s in your tenant? Additionally, if you have a paid subscription I also invite you to open a ticket through the Support Center if you’d like to handle this case there instead.

Best Regards,
Colin

I am running this in the dashboard from a “Try Connection” link. This is the error i get in the dashboard:
{
“error”: “access_denied”,
“error_description”: “unable to verify the first certificate”
}

This is from my local computer. Is it trying to hit a callback or something?

I am using the username password authentication setting and not a custom database.

I also have signed up for a developer account, can I submit tickets with that?

hi @ssinclair, yes you shouldn’t have an issue opening a Support Ticket with your account :slightly_smiling_face:

Feel free to go that route or let me know if you plan to continue using the Community to post about this issue. In the interest of keeping information in one place, I’d recommend choosing one or the other.

Best Regards,
Colin

this is really odd. is just started working again. Not sure what happened. I made no changes on my side for the login. Mobile app, web app are all operational. And the dashbaord Try Connection is now working. Anything to see on Auth0 side on what just happened? Thank you for your responses!!

Staying here for now so that anyone else who has the same issue can look this up.

1 Like

@ssinclair thanks for the update, I’m glad to hear the issue appears to have resolved itself.

I’m not aware of any incidents/outages on our end so tracking this down may be difficult. It’s possible, judging from the error message, that this could’ve been related to a cert renewal process but I’m afraid I don’t have enough information to make a determination. If you’d like you can still DM your tenant, and I can see if there’s any more information I can gather.

Best Regards,
Colin

HI,

I did refresh a certificate on Monday from let’s encrypt. It was done out at the app and API servers. I ran into my problems locally on a dev server with no certificate. Just as fast as it stopped working, it just started working again. I was down for about 4 hours though. thank you for your response. I have never had this issue in over 2 years. Is there a process I have to follow if I renew my server certificates?

thanks,
Steve

Hello, I have had the same problem for a few days.

link: get.smartpeople.app

user: ross.collins
pass: 123

error: {“name”: “Error”, “message”: “unable to verify the first certificate”, “code”: “UNABLE_TO_VERIFY_LEAF_SIGNATURE”, “fromSandbox”: true}

Certificate test result

Hi @matias.leiva,

I’d recommend deleting your message and sending that info to me in a DM to be safe and ensure you’re not sharing more info than needed.

In addition to the above information, can you let me know what type of connection you’re attempting to log in with?

Thanks!
Colin

1 Like

I have the same issue. “unable to verify the first certificate”. It seems im doing good on this: SSL Server Test: remote.koopmansenzwart.nl (Powered by Qualys SSL Labs). Also I changed from custom to auth0 database, just to try. But doesn’t change anything. Could it be because im using port 25? What can I do or try?