The LinkedIn login is deprecated; updating to the new scopes is necessary!

Hi, I’ve tried to sign in with LinkedIn using Azure AD B2C. However, it’s not working because the scopes are incorrect. I received this error message:

Scope “r_emailaddress” is not authorized for your application

The LinkedIn helpdesk referred me to StackOverflow, which led me to this topic. Unfortunately, it seems that there is no solution yet…

1 Like

Hello,
Honestly, I didn’t understand what product you are developing because OAuth 2.0 (OAuth 2.0 — OAuth) is the protocol itself.

The importance of logging in with LinkedIn is not based on metadata obtained by logging in with it, but rather on the authorization to use the data downloaded from other automations. Therefore, Google would not be an option for us.

Hello, have you tried using the custom social connection that @tyf mentioned above?

I hope that the people in charge of the matter can provide some updates and avoid remaining silent again.

Hi thanks for your response.
For clarification, correct me if I am wrong here
By other automation you meant other LinkedIn api endpoints? Or something else

If it’s the other endpoints, as far I have checked it’s restricted and not made available for general user only LinkedIn authorised developers can use it

I’m referring to other companies that specialize in downloading information from LinkedIn. You can find several on Google that offer this service.

1 Like

Hello @tyf , how are you?

It’s been almost 2 months since the error was originally posted.
Any updates?

Cheers.

Hey @nelson2 and all - Sorry for the delayed response here!

Unfortunately, the scope of this has evolved to be larger than initially expected. We are still working on an updated version of the connection but as of now I do not have an ETA. My previous response detailing the current workaround still stands:

Thanks a bunch for your patience :pray:

Why is this such a large fix? If you were able to update the LinkedIn config to let us override the default scopes that are used when redirecting, the rest should work just fine. We are actively looking into Supabase Auth which does have this support. Unfortunate because we are already setup with Auth0 and this is a major waste of time and resources. Killing Auth0’s reputation with this one!

I believe that major scopes are deprecated for normal users, and therefore users are blocked from accessing any other API (which is actually such a big breaking change, just like how Twitter made theirs), and they intend to keep it that way, maybe verified devs would be able to with paid service.

We’re having the same issue. Is there any update?

Thank you

Hello @tyf , how are you?

It’s been almost 3 months since the error was originally posted.
Any updates?

Cheers.

Hey @nelson2, sorry for the delayed response here!

The updated (v3) version of the LinkedIn connection has been released and was shared as a notification in the Support Center:

Hello @tyf
For some reason, no one on the team received the notification.

Thank you very much, now we’re going to try it!

Cheers.

Hey @tyf,

I have been trying the new linkedin strategy (v3), and I think is buggy. Hopefully you can let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

I am having an issue and that is that the email from LinkedIn is not being retrieved and populated to the user.
Is there anything special that from a configuration point of view I have to do to, besides just click accept email?

I tried:

• deleting the user and sign in again multiple times. This had worked only once, and the rest of the time the email is not retrieved.
  • deleting the social connection and adding it back
  • switching to v2 (deprecated) and then back to v3
  • etc, nothing seems to make it work consistenly.

On the other side, I am using the Account Linking extension, but if I cannot retrieve the email from Linkedin the account linking extension does not make any sense.

Thanks

P.S: When I look at my connections in the api/v2/connections they look like:

{
   {
    "id": .....,
    "options": {
      "email": true,
      "scope": [
        "email",
        "profile",
        "openid"
      ],
      "openid": true,
      "profile": true,
      "client_id": "",
      "strategy_version": 3
    },
    "strategy": "linkedin",
    "name": "linkedin",
    "is_domain_connection": false,
    "realms": [
      "linkedin"
    ],
    "enabled_clients": [
    ]
  },

Any updates @tyf ?? It just does not seem to work!

Another person is going through the same scenario I think:

not resolved yet,wondering if someone knows to resolve this or please share your experience if you come across this.

Is it me, or the accessToken from the linkedin oauth2 integration is always immediately outdated after login? If I want to get more data from the user, like the full profile image (and not that 100x100 useless image) then the accessToken should be usable to use the real linkedin api toolbox.

Ideas? Great to see here some valuable activity.

The updated (v3) version of the LinkedIn connection is not working. Linkedin simply throws an error. Also the custom connection setup is not working.

GET https://api.linkedin.com/v2/userinfo
Authorization: Bearer

I am currently using the above API to retrieve user information, and I am receiving the response as follows:

jsonCopy code

{
    "sub": "5aHNdd56aVzm",
    "email_verified": true,
    "name": "Vinoth vino S",
    "locale": {
        "country": "US",
        "language": "en"
    },
    "given_name": "Vinoth",
    "family_name": "Kumar S",
    "email": "vinoth@email.io",
    "picture": ""
}

There is no vanity name available to build a public LinkedIn profile, and the current LinkedIn documentation indicates that everything is deprecated. Additionally, they do not provide a refresh token.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.