Auth0 Home Blog Docs

Sort users by metadata field

users
metadata
search
list
sort

Not sure if this is related to the recent issues with the users search API or not, but I used to be able to make a users query and specify a field from the user_metadata as a sort criterion (e.g. “user_metadata.first_name:1”), but now that query, even just in the API explorer, is throwing a 503 error (“Failed to perform search”). Has a change been made recently that prevents sorting by metadata fields, or should I still be able to do this?

I see similar issue. Sorting users by nested attributes returns 400 error:

{
  "statusCode": 400,
  "error": "Bad Request",
  "message": "Failed to perform search. Make sure the query \"app_metadata.deleted:false AND app_metadata.admin:false\" is valid"
}

Also when I try to search for a nested attributes, eg. “app_metadata.deleted:false AND app_metadata.admin:false” without any sorting set does not return anything.

Per the incident report for the issue mentioned in the OP:

• Sorting (sort=...) is not working but we are working on a fix that should be deployed in the following days.

I see similar issue. Sorting users by nested attributes returns 400 error:

{
  "statusCode": 400,
  "error": "Bad Request",
  "message": "Failed to perform search. Make sure the query \"app_metadata.deleted:false AND app_metadata.admin:false\" is valid"
}

Also when I try to search for a nested attributes, eg. “app_metadata.deleted:false AND app_metadata.admin:false” without any sorting set does not return anything.

We have a same issue and same error message given when we include the ‘&sort=’ param in our search users query. The query works if the sort param is removed from the query but always fails if ‘&sort=’ is included. Also… this strangely only occurs with one of our tenants. In the other tenant the search query works fine even with the sort param included.

Is there any update on that? I’ve tested it few days ago, it was still not working.

Any follow up on this? Sorting by the normalized fields doesn’t work either.