Auth0 Home Blog Docs

API Users - metadata search - a bug?

bug
app_metadata
metadata
user-metadata
search

#1

I am not able to filter the search query for app_metadata. Our users have this shape:

 {
   "connection": "email",
   "email": "jill@jill.com",
   "user_metadata": {"name":"Jill Jill"},
   "app_metadata": {
       "app": {
            "id" :"appId"
        }
   }
 }

I have tried to query for app_metadata.app.id with the urls below but all of them return no results at all:

  • https://{{auth0_domain}}/api/v2/users?q=app_metadata.app.id:"appId"
  • https://{{auth0_domain}}/api/v2/users?q=app_metadata.app.id:appId
  • https://{{auth0_domain}}/api/v2/users?q=user.app_metadata.app.id:"appId"
  • https://{{auth0_domain}}/api/v2/users?q=user.app_metadata.app.id:appId

According to the incident report only queries without user. should be working now.

Executing https://{{auth0_domain}}/api/v2/users works and returns 50 results. I have checked the app.id several times for spelling errors.

Is it a bug OR am I missing some point?


#2

It was a forced breaking change, in particular, as stated in that linked incident the user search over custom fields was restricted in some tenants in order to ensure that basic user search functionality could be restored. As also mentioned in the incident there was an email address that could be used by impacted tenants in order to inquire about the possibility to have those restrictions lifted if they had created the tenant account before the incident. I see that you or someone associated with your tenant domain has used that communication channel and that the situation is now addressed, however, wanted to give an update here in case someone else faces the same situation which in that case the recommended approach would be to indeed use the communication channel listed in the incident.


#3

Hey Jmangelo, I wrote to support and they re-enabled it for us because we were still eligible for this API. Thanks for your response anyways.


#4