Skip Consent Dialog for Electron App

Hi Auth0 Team,

I am evidently one of the very few people on this entire platform that uses Auth0 for an Electron app.

I have developed an Electron app that uses the Universal Login, and when a user signs up and creates an account, they are met with that “Allow consent…” dialog because I have to use “localhost” in my Allowed Callback URLs list. I used your own Electron guide to set this up like a year ago.

And yes, I’ve already read through User Consent and Third-Party Applications.

Please help me find a way to skip the “Allow consent…” dialog, it is so irritating and likely confuses my customers - I cannot stand it.

Thank you for your help.

Hey @displagent :wave:

Unfortunately, as the User Consent and Third-Party Applications states, Auth0 does not allow you to skip consent (even for first-party applications) if localhost appears in any domain in the application’s Allowed Callback URLs setting.

For local development, you should be using a separate dev tenant. You can use the Deploy CLI Tool to export/import your current tenant configuration into a new dev tenant (instead of recreating everything manually)

You can also read the dangers of having localhost in your production tenant/application in this post: Why localhost is not recommended as an allowed callback or origin for production?

That is unfortunate because, like I previously stated, Auth0’s own Electron guide also encourages and requires you to use localhost in the Allowed Callback URLs.

Because an Electron app is a downloadable application existing on a client’s machine, and not a centrally-hosted server, I see no way around requiring localhost to be in the Allowed Callback URLs.

Is there some other way to make this work with Electron apps that I am not seeing?

@displagent I found this post that talks about a similar issue when localhost is used in Allowed Callback URLs, I hope the solution provided in the post helps :pray:

1 Like

Thanks for trying to help @gparascandolo.

It looks like this is impossible to solve in Auth0. The link provided above references a GitHub repo that states to add “file:///” to the Allowed Callback URLs in the Auth0 dashboard for an Electron app, but it does not work from what I can see as of 2023-10-24.

Disappointing that Auth0 does not have a workaround for this. Oh well.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.