Signin with email or phone number

Hi there,

In ordre to provide a mobile app for a population of users that are not all email or mobile experts, we would like to provide multiple login experiences.

Also those users will come from another system in which they are identified by either an email address or a phone number. We want to invite them to use the app through this channel, but also keep this pivot (email or phone) to communicate between our backends so a user identified in the original app by his email (resp phone) would login in our app with A0 with its email (resp phone)

In my understanding :

Now remains one possibility : having a password at login time, but by allowing users to identify themselves with an email address or a phone number. Is this possible by customizing the login template ? If yes, is the rest also taken care of (like resetting password through 2 channels) ?

Thanks for your advices,
Pascal.

Hey there!

So let me address a few points of yours:

1. selecting multiple passwordless method is not possible, only one (Configure Universal Login with Passwordless): that is unfortunately correct

2. having a password at login time, but by allowing users to identify themselves with an email address or a phone number. Is this possible by customizing the login template ? If yes, is the rest also taken care of (like resetting password through 2 channels). and again no here, we don’t support authentication with phone number as a first factor of course

I would highly encourage to create product feedback for that using our Feedback category here:

Hello Konrad, thanks for your answer. It’s unfortunate but it’s clear :slight_smile:

We were thinking of a workaround which is to create inside Auth0 console different apps. Each one with a different type of login (so namely email+pwd, email+code/link, sms+code). Inside our mobile app, we would add a first screen where the user would choose his favorite method of authentication. Once clicked, we would call Auth0 universal login with the proper appid.

This introduce the drawback of creating multiple profiles if the user ever changes his login method (until we somehow reconciliate those), but do see you some bigger (technical or not) incompatibilities ?

Gotchya! Thanks for sharing that context. I don’t think so actually I would be really interested if that will work for you cause I think it can be a nice hack for this usecase

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.