Searching users in the management API by permissions

Is it possible to search for users by permissions, when using the /users endpoint?

We are implementing Auth0’s role and permissions system, and are therefore debating in our team if we should “sync” permissions to app_metadata.

If this is not possible - I think the only solution is to save permissions to app_metadata. What do you do in your Auth0 implementation? Do you “sync” permissions to app_metadata? Thanks :smile:

Hi @alexab,

You are correct, syncing your users permissions to app_metadata will be the best way to search them at the moment.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Dan

Hi @dan.woda - thanks for confirming.

Our backend is running Node.js + GraphQL - and I can’t stop thinking about the benefits we would have if Auth0 exposed a GraphQL management API. Then we could do awesome stuff like the following:

query users {
   user_id
   roles {
     name
   }
   permissions {
      name 
   }
}

I know from my own experience that GraphQL is not simple to implement, but the end result is just 10/10 user experience for API consumers :yum: The above query currently requires 3 REST endpoints :smiley:

Now combining this with awesome filtering and cursor based pagination :sunglasses:

@alexab,

I know it has been proposed before, and sounds like it could be a benefit! The best course of action I can suggest is to submit the feature request to our feedback page. It is a direct line to our product team and helps gauge interest and customer need.

Thanks,
Dan

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.