Rules and Hooks nearing End of Life

To follow up on this, do you have an update on what is already implemented and what is still pending?

1 Like

Hey there Folks!

Just in here with a new update, at the end of August we shipped some things for you! For those who didnā€™t have a chance to see that, hereā€™s the blog post and documentation:

What was shipped:

• SAML Mapping + Configuration
  • Root-Level User Attributes
  • Access Token Scopes

For more specific example, I am using rules like this to get Twitter email.

However, since access tokens are not available in Actions (they are available in Rules), it is not possible to simply migrate.
Will this feature be supported in future before deprecation of Rules?

This looks useful but doesnā€™t seem to be available for Azure AD yet. Question for the Auth0 team: is this coming or do we need to use the OIDC connection with Azure AD to do attribute mapping?

any news? Q3 or Q4? end of the 2023?

I still donā€™t understand how I could access the groups coming from Azure AD.
The blogpost says:

This means you can make more use of standard properties such as user.roles , user.groups , and user.permissions to understand customer profiles and protect user interests better.

But the documentation page does not mention these new root properties at all.

1 Like

HI Auth0, so I need to convert the Delegated Administration Extensionā€™s hooks to actions but I donā€™t see anything in the documentation about how to map the various hooks to appropriate actions or what methods in an action to use for them.
There are: Filter Hook, Access Hook, Membership Query Hook, Settings Query Hook and Write hook.
I canā€™t find any info on which type of action to rewrite them into, is it a Login/Post login or M2M or a specific method on one of these actions?
How would they fit into the flow are the any specifics to be aware of?
Are there examples anywhere I can refer to?
Thanks in advance!

@konrad.sopala can you provide updates on this please?
We need to know when this functionality will be available with actions (ETA) so we can plan development to make changes accordingly.

:rocket: Account Linking is now available in Actions :rocket:

Starting on Oct 16, 2023, we are rolling out Account Linking in Actions to all tenants in all environments. Developers can start linking user accounts from various identity providers with the built-in native features in Actions. Check out our Changelog for more information.This is a critical milestone to close off all major parity gaps from Rules.

Closing Account Linkings as the final major parity gap complements our Rules and Hooks removal on Oct 16. This remarks a critical pivot for extensibility marching towards migration assessment and values built in Actions.

So how is this solved? Rules and Hooks nearing End of Life - #51 by stefan.kip

Thanks for the update @konrad.sopala . Are there any plans to update the existing account-linking extension or an article on the steps required to migrate?

Hey there!

Following up with the team on that front!

Are there any news on this front? Thanks!

Still waiting for a replyā€¦

@konrad.sopala can I get an answer pleaseā€¦ Youā€™ve been ignoring my posts for 2 months now and I already asked this on May 17th.

Hey everyone!

Sorry for being a bit unresponsive to your questions recently but weā€™ve been receiving an enromous amount of questions regarding this topic and we decided with the engineering and product teams behind those features that we would like to bring them in so you can directly have your questions addressed by the people working on Rules and Hooks Nearing End of Life.

We donā€™t know the exact date yet apart from the fact that itā€™s going to happen in January 2024 when we will have a Community AMA related specifically to this topic. There will be a three week period before the day of the event where you will be able to submit all your questions and at the end of that period, on the day of the event we will address all of those questions with help of our engineering, product and design team behind this migration.

Sorry for any inconvenience recently due to lack of regular responses here but weā€™ve been really working hard recently on preparing the AMA in January so we can answer all your questions precisely and holistically.

As soon as we have all the details (which is going to be around first / second week of January) weā€™re going to share more information about the AMA here. Thank you!

Hey there everyone!

Iā€™m excited to let you know about our next Ask me Anything session in the Forum on Thursday, January 18 with the Rules, Hooks and Actions team. Submit your questions now and our esteemed product experts will provide written answers on January 18. Find out more about Rules & Hooks and why Actions matter! Canā€™t wait to see you there!

Learn more here!

Alright, for the 4th time now:

I still donā€™t understand how I could access the groups coming from Azure AD.
The blogpost says :

This means you can make more use of standard properties such as user.roles , user.groups , and user.permissions to understand customer profiles and protect user interests better.

But the documentation page does not mention these new root properties at all.

1 Like

Hey there @stefan.kip !

Can I ask you to ask this question in our AMA with the Rules,Hooks and Actions team here:

Thank you!

Weā€™re thankful for your contributions to our understanding!