Reset password for passwordless Login

Hi there, we would like to migrate from passwordless login to username-password login. To do so, we are thinking to have all our current users to create password by using the reset-password flow. But I tested and it seems not working. So I would like to ask what is the general guideline for this? Thank you!

Hi @williamwjs,

Thanks for reaching out to the Auth0 Community!

I understand that you are trying to migrate your users from Passwordless login to Username-Password login.

To do so, I recommend bulk exporting your passwordless users and then bulk importing them into a Username-Password database connection.

After doing so, you can proceed with a password reset flow for them to set a new password and gain access to their account.

I hope this helps!

Please let me know how this works for you.

Thanks,
Rueben

Hi @rueben.tiow , thank you for your reply!!!

If we want to still keep the passwordless flow, is there a way to programmatically do this export and import, so that if a new user creates an account via Passwordless, they would be able to later reset a password to use password to login?

Hi @williamwjs,

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, this is not possible because when using the Universal Login experience, you must choose between a Passwordless or Username-Password authentication flow for all applications.

Although, it may be possible to have different authentication flows for your applications. For example, App 1 uses Passwordless, and App 2 uses Username-Password.

If this is the case, I recommend having the user sign up on the new application instead. This would save on the complexity of exporting/importing the users and sending them a password reset flow.

Moreover, allow me to clarify that exporting and importing users involves generating and uploading a file. Given that, if you do decide to proceed with this approach, I’d recommend writing a script to periodically bulk export and import your Passwordless Users.

I hope this answers your question!

Thanks,
Rueben

Hi @rueben.tiow , thank you for your reply!

One more question: If I use the tool to do this export then import, how do I link the identities between passwordless and Username-Password?

Hi there, any updates on my question above?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi @williamwjs,

Thank you for your response, and I apologize for my late reply.

You should be able to do this by calling the Management APIs Link user account endpoint.

Please let me know if I can help with anything else!

Thanks,
Rueben