New Express Nodejs SDK in Early Access!

Fantastic news! Our DX-SDK team has been hard at work on a new SDK for Node.js that will soon move into beta stage.

This new SDK makes integrating Auth0 into Express webapps a breeze:

• Few lines of code required
  • No need to manage secrets

If you’re interested in joining in on testing this and sharing feedback with us, please let us know down below in the comments. Thank you!

5 Likes

When do you expect this new version to be released?

Hi there @ryan4 and welcome to the Auth0 Community!

We are unable to share a release date at this time but we will be sure to share as more details emerge!

1 Like

Should I rely on this future release or auth0-spa-js?

Currently using Node.js + express-session + Vue on Webpack dev server, and the settings aren’t perfect… (I have to customize to my own needs.)

Not sure if I should use localStorage or server-side database to store Auth0 session.

Auth0-spa-js is a great jumping off point, espically since we have quickstarts and tutorials already built out for those.

We have documentation on this front too!

1 Like

Reading Electron Tutorial: Building Modern Desktop Apps with Vue.js

Do I need to expose client_secret when creating a localhost-based web apps? Or it is not always needed?

Hi, I would be happy to try it out

1 Like

Would absolutely want the opportunity to play with this!

1 Like

Thanks @arn and @bcoats. I will foward the requests along :smiley:

Great, thanks! Look forward to pulling it down. Having just gotten through the exercise of writing some custom middlewares to more flexibly leverage some of the older things out there, can’t wait to see it being done the “right” way! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I am Alberto and I’m a product manager with Auth0, working on Quickstarts and SDKs.

Thanks for your interest in our upcoming Express middleware.
We anticipate to release a beta version of this new middleware soon. As soon as it’s ready for testing, I will post more details here so that you can get your hands on it and provide feedback.

Note that this will be a middleware to secure webapps written in Node.js and Express.js.

Best,
Alberto.

Should I rely on this future release or auth0-spa-js ?

Currently using Node.js + express-session + Vue on Webpack dev server, and the settings aren’t perfect… (I have to customize to my own needs.)

Not sure if I should use localStorage or server-side database to store Auth0 session.

It depends. Do you need the session on the server or on the client? Does your client-side application need to acquire tokens to call an API?

If your backend just serves the client-side application, and the single page application needs to sign in the user and do API calls, then auth0-spa-js would seem like a good option. This architecture is described here: Single-Page Applications (SPA) with API.

An example would be:

• Express backend serves SPA
  • (optional) Express backend exposes API endpoints. In said endpoints, a valid token is required to authenticate requests
  • SPA performs sign-in flow and acquires tokens to make requests to API endpoints (in Express backend or elsewhere)

The SPA SDK allows to perform sign-in and acquire tokens from single page applications.

In contrast, this new middleware implements sign-in flow from the server-side. The session then exists in the backend.

If you just need the session on the server-side and you are using Express, the new middleware would help. This example is described here: Regular Web Applications with Single Sign-On

Hope this helps!
Alberto.

1 Like

In actuality, I am looking for Offline-first Electron database. So I will need,

• SQLite - MongoDB sync and versioning
  • Login, and auto-login on start app.
  • Web apps might come third. Desktop app and Android app takes priority.

Not sure if in the end, I might be the only user, though.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.