Navigating Authentication and Authorization

I’m currently facing a challenge with user authentication and authorization in my application. Despite implementing Auth0 for secure authentication on website, I’m encountering issues with ensuring proper authorization for different user roles. Specifically, I need to grant specific permissions based on roles and restrict access accordingly.

Here are the key aspects of my problem:

1. How can I seamlessly integrate role-based access control (RBAC) with Auth0 to ensure that users with different roles have appropriate permissions?
  2. Are there best practices for handling dynamic permissions where a user’s access might change based on certain conditions or events?
  3. What strategies do you recommend for securing API endpoints and ensuring that only authorized users can access certain resources?

Any insights, recommendations, or examples you can provide regarding authentication and authorization challenges with Auth0 would be greatly appreciated!

Hey there @laviniamoonstone!

This is exactly what RBAC is designed for - There’s a pretty nice tool that allows you to customize a sample app which implements RBAC here.

It’s a fairly straightforward process that’s outlined in the docs here. Essentially, with a simple toggle in your API settings Auth0 will automatically include permissions associated with a user’s role in their access token.

I’m not aware of any best practices so to speak, but Auth0 does provide the ability to add, edit, delete, etc. both via the dashboard and API. Please see this doc for more info.

We recommend using a backend SDK which provides methods to both validate a user’s access token as well as implement checks for roles, permissions, etc. Here’s an example of securing a Node API:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.