Missing client parameter - can we improve this error message?

I’m just starting trying to use universal login. Go dashboard, enable customisation, the preview has an error:

“Something went wrong. Please contact technical support.”

I guess I can just not use the preview, so I go to the default url that the dashboard states it serves on, this errors too so I check the logs and get: “missing client parameter”.
What do you want from me? Its really unclear. I guess I need to add a parameter to the query string?

A message from an auth0 employee in this forum states:

As mentioned, You should never visit /login directly

Then don’t link it or make it this clear when the url is exposed on the dashboard (link to /authorize instead?). I’ve read that post and I still don’t know what I need to do to literally just make sure the sign in form is displaying the correct logo.
Sorry if I sound a bit frustrated but its disappointing the amount of extra domain burden I need to chomp through to complete what should be a simple task.

k, I’m now hitting the /authorize end point (I finally chewed through all the links in that post to find what I wanted) and that gives awesome errors enabling me to error my way to where I need to be. So now I’m merrily customising things but I still wanted to point out that it requires some belligerence to get here.

I would also suggest that it would be value to link to this: GitHub - auth0/lock: Auth0's signin solution from that customisation page somewhere as it contains all the docs for basic customisation of lock which is likely gonna be a big chunk of the use-cases.

Also can I just say I enjoy working on this stack in general. The docs are very detailed and mostly do a great job and that the clients are all open-source is soooo useful for developer volition. If you know of the person/persons who decided on open sourcing them give them a high-five from me.

Hi Simon.
First of all, apologies for the frustrations so far. The Preview feature is very handy to quickly test changes but considering that the hosted login page is really a fully customizable HTML page (as opposed to just a few style settings) there are just too many things that can go wrong.

In the particular case of the “Something went wrong. Please contact technical support.” error, I believe this is Lock not finding any available connections to authenticate the user. When previewing you have the option to select a different client with the APPLICATION dropdown, can you try selecting a different one and see if you get a better result?

When you say:

so I go to the default url that the dashboard states it serves on,

do you remember exactly where you read this? I remember the /login endpoint was directly referenced in the Preview section before, but it was rightfully removed to avoid confusions. We should definitely correct any direct references to the /login endpoint if there are any left.

As you said, the /login endpoint is an internal-use-only endpoint. Applications are supposed to use the /authorize endpoint to request a token interactively (i.e. with user interaction), and Auth0 will show the login page (redirect to /login) only if it makes sense for the current context (e.g. there’s no previous user session, or the application forced a re-authentication). Auth0 creates some internal state to tie the authentication to the ongoing /authorize request, so invoking the /login endpoint directly will fail as it will be seen as an orphaned request.

Other interactive (and internal) endpoints that could result from invoking the /authorize endpoint are the MFA challenge, the consent screen. Others could be added in the future as well.

There is an endpoint that you can use if you want to test the login directly in a new browser tab:

https://{your_auth0_domain}/preview/login?client={the_client_id}

This endpoint is used for the preview now but, AFAIK, is not publicly documented, so it could change it the future without notice.

Hope this helps a bit.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. I never clocked the application drop down as being an interactive GUI component. :smiley:
Works fine if I correctly use it.

I attach an image of the url of the login page still being directly referenced.

Thanks for that screenshot. It was right in front of my eyes yet I wasn’t seeing it. Will recommend that this gets removed to avoid confusions.

2 Likes