Issues with the LinkedIn social connection

Hi!
We use auth0 in our mobile application and are having issues with the LinkedIn social connection. Starting a few days ago, when a user choses “log in with Linkedin”, the user is sent in to the Linkedin mobile app (if they have it installed) and not back to our application. If the Linkedin mobile app is not installed on the device it works fine. Any ideas what could have happened?

This is super crucial for our product because our users cant login and also the candidates applying for jobs cant do that from the Linkedin option. Anyone else that has experience from this?

3 Likes

Hi @linus.andersson,

Welcome to the Auth0 Community!

I understand that you are encountering issues with authentication using the LinkedIn Social Connection.

To help me understand the problem better, I have some clarifying questions.

First, could you please clarify if you have configured your callback URL properly? The callback URL redirects your users back to your application after being successfully authenticated.

And, could you clarify whether your intended flow is to have a browser-based login flow or native login flow?

1 Like

Hi Rueben,

Thanks for your answer!

The callback has worked for a long time and this issue only happens fore some, it still works for others – so that should not be the problem right?
We have a browser-based flow.

We have not done any changes in our product or our Auth0 settings recently (and the problem only and usually occurs when you have the Linkedin app installed on your phone), so we wonder if it has to do with an update of linkedins app.

Thanks for the quick response!
Linus

Hi again,
Here comes some more info.

When I dont have the Linkedin app installed on my phone, Im sent to Linkedins webb login. That works.
But when the LInkedin app is installed Im sent to some form of app-login instead, then it does not work. See pictures. Hope that helps.

Hi @rueben.tiow

Here comes the issue with more info and slightly re-frased (new things in the bottom):

We are having issues with the LinkedIn social connection. Probably starting with Linkedins update to the version 9.1.234. Still the same issue on version 9.1.235. When a user choses “log in with Linkedin”, the user is sent in to the Linkedin mobile app (if they have it installed) and not to LinkedIn’s login form. This problem started when Linkedin updated their app. If the Linkedin mobile app is not installed on the iOS device, it works fine.

This is super crucial for our product because our users cant login and also the candidates applying for jobs cant do that from the Linkedin option.

We have a browser-based flow and have not done any changes in our product or our autentification service (Auth0) recently (and the problem only occurs when you have the Linkedin app installed on your phone).

When I dont have the Linkedin app installed on my phone, Im sent to Linkedins webb login. That works. But when the LInkedin app is installed Im sent to some form of app-login instead, then it does not work.

To reproduce the issue, simple visit this link from an iOS device with the LinkedIn mobile app installed:

Since the oauth parameters are valid, this link redirects to a url similar to

It is this link that opens the installed app instead of just continuing in the web browser and then the oauth dance stops abruptly since the app cannot communicate any authentication code back to the browser.

The bug could be caused either by previously not using the LinkedIn Login, Sign in | LinkedIn redirect or by the iOS app flags being changed to “own” the LinkedIn Login, Sign in | LinkedIn url path for deep-linking.

1 Like

Hi @linus.andersson,

After collaborating with our teams, we discovered that this is an issue with LinkedIn producing a Universal Link and opening the LinkedIn mobile app.

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do on our end to fix this. We apologize for any convenience this may have caused you or your end-users. We are currently working to find a resolution on this issue as soon as we can.

Meanwhile, your end-users can continue authentication onto your Application with a workaround that does not involve uninstalling the LinkedIn mobile app:

1. Open Safari
  2. Type “LinkedIn” in the Safari search bar to pull up the search result
  3. Tap on the LinkedIn search result link
  4. Select “cancel” when a dialogue opens asking if you want to open the LinkedIn app
  5. Navigate back to the app and login successfully with LinkedIn without opening the LinkedIn app
1 Like

Thanks Rueben!

I understand. Thanks for the workaround even if it will not delight our users :slight_smile:

Lets hope LInkedin updates their app, and please let us know if you find any other solution from your side. Might be a good idea that you also contact Linkedin to make them aware that this issue should be highly prioritized?

Thanks!
Linus

Hi @linus.andersson,

Thank you for making these suggestions. We have escalated this to our Engineering teams to address the problem. They will be in contact with LinkedIn Support to work on a resolution.

As soon as there are any updates, I will be sure to relay that information to you.

Thank you.

3 Likes

I just wanted to add that we are experiencing the same issue.

2 Likes

+1 to this thread as we’re experiencing the same problem

1 Like

Same issue as well. We just disabled LinkedIn for now which is not ideal.

1 Like

Thanks Rueben,
Did you get any time estimation on when Linkedin should have this solved? Have they said anything? We need to communicate with our customers.
Thanks!
Linus

Hello @andrew16, @danieldixon, @tlays11, and @linus.andersson,

I have received all of your messages regarding this situation.

Since my last update, there has not been any new information from our Engineering teams.

I have escalated this case and I will keep everyone posted on the next update.

Thank you for your continued patience.

4 Likes

Hello @andrew16, @danieldixon, @tlays11, and @linus.andersson,

I have great news!

LinkedIn has resolved the issue. Your end-users should now be able to authenticate with the LinkedIn Social Connection without any breaking behavior.

Thank you for being patient while we worked through this situation!

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can do to help. I would be happy to assist.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the help!
Have a great day!
Linus

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.