Integrating Single Sign-On between two Businesses

Note: Currently not an Auth0 user but I am looking into its feasibility for a problem we are trying to fix at my job.

Issue: my company would like to create a sort of “universal” login feature between our website and a 3rd party application. In a little more detail:

We sell a Strength and Conditioning program through a platform which users sign in to from their phones to see our workouts. This platform is owned by our business partner. Our workout programs are not the only programs on their application, as they have other companies that provide workout programs as well.

Currently, we have a website (WordPress) where we would like to have a single sign-on feature implemented so that the users that are subscribed to our workout program on our partner application can simply use that same login credential to log in to our website. We don’t want our customers to have to create a new login for our site as they are already (technically) our customers on our partner’s platform.

It seems like our partners would need to implement auth0 on their side (as well as us on our site), but is this something that would make sense? From their end would they need to somehow segment out all of our users into a separate database just for our users? I’m more trying to understand if this is something do-able between ourselves and our partners without them having to bend over backwards for us, knowing that we are not their only customer.

Thanks!

Hey there Allan!

I asked someone with wider WordPress knowledge to assist you in that question. He will reach out soon! In the meantime have you tried reading our docs on the universal login concept?

Here are a few links that will explain you how it works from our side:

1 Like

Currently not an Auth0 user but I am looking into its feasibility for a problem we are trying to fix at my job.

Great to hear! Hopefully we can get all of your questions answered.

Currently, we have a website (WordPress) where we would like to have a single sign-on feature implemented so that the users that are subscribed to our workout program on our partner application can simply use that same login credential to log in to our website.

This is definitely within the use case of Auth0. Conceptually, users would register/login with Auth0 (branded in whatever way) and that account would be used to authenticate on other sites/apps. The session would be maintained with Auth0 and each connected site would check with Auth0 for that session and log a user in if it existed.

It seems like our partners would need to implement auth0 on their side (as well as us on our site), but is this something that would make sense?

Correct, all the different sites and apps would need to use Auth0 to make this type of SSO scenario work.

From their end would they need to somehow segment out all of our users into a separate database just for our users?

They wouldn’t need to, no. All users could be in a single database and have access to all the sites connected. This would allow them to login to any other site connected to this system, which may or may not be what you want. If not, there are ways to configure this differently so that does not happen. It all depends on how you want it to work, Auth0 is quite flexible!

I’m more trying to understand if this is something do-able between ourselves and our partners without them having to bend over backwards for us, knowing that we are not their only customer.

Understood. This sounds like it would be a positive change on their end without just being positive for you. Centralized user management like this has the benefit of SSO, as well and a host of other things. This is probably the most relevant page for this use case if you’d like to share that with your partner:

I’m subscribed to this thread so please reach out if you have any additional questions.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the help! This is exactly what I was looking for.

In terms of pricing, how would something like this be structured? Who would have to pay (both, just one company, etc) if we are sharing user data.

Thanks again!

In terms of pricing, how would something like this be structured?

The pricing is based mainly on active users within a tenant, which is the central user storage. In this scenario, all the users and applications would be housed in one tenant and paid for by one entity.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.